BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Well after a few years driving a Nissan juke, I'm back where I belong with my 4th BMW and feel like im home again haha.
Got myself a 2012 520D msport and absolutely love it.
Question I have is it that when I press the Nav button on the idrive controls, nothing happens.
Been told its "satnav ready" but was wondering the cheapest option to get it on.
I understand its the hdd version cic and not the dvd version.
I'm quite handy with installing components and flashing software if required but would need a bit of direction from you guys please.

Glad to be back!
Dan.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Confirm you have satnav, realoem.com and VIN should help....
Though 2012 m-sport would have I'd have thought..
Sounds like someone is being fluid with a description, it isn't like an Audi where you need a few hundred on a USB with satnav stuff on, if you have a hdd you'll be able to find a page saying how much space you have on it left (user part - music etc), if you do have a hdd I suspect someone has trashed it..
Ages ago now, someone replaced their hdd with a ssd..
Access to a similar base disc, as in satnav and OS stuff to copy from - hard to find I guess, or BMW to overwrite, unsure if an Indy would go that deep, could try.. or a breakers..
Good Luck though :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I'll get a look over the weekend. It's all new to me this so a lot of Google searches are ahead. Not even sure where the hdd will be but hopefully will have a better idea in the next few days.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Hmmm...
'How do you install the right GPS
map in the vehicle'
2013-PARTS_041_10_13
!!! Attention !!! Only for vehicles
with a production date of 03/ 2010 or
later is it possible to carry out the
update using a USB stick. For vehicles
with a production date prior to
03/2010 it is first necessary to carry
out an integration level update at the
dealership.As an alternative, for
vehicles with a production date prior
to 03/2010 there is always the option
of carrying out the update via ISTA/P .
------
Except I think you need more before that point.... as in make satnav actually work...
Though an interesting thought might be if you purchased a map upgrade, it may be all you need...
But might not be....

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I know the description of the work the guy who went SSD from HDD, took out and did the copy as an external disc on a computer.. that could be 'interesting'......
Can you save CD's to disc OK?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hmmm...
'How do you install the right GPS
map in the vehicle'
2013-PARTS_041_10_13
!!! Attention !!! Only for vehicles
with a production date of 03/ 2010 or
later is it possible to carry out the
update using a USB stick. For vehicles
with a production date prior to
03/2010 it is first necessary to carry
out an integration level update at the
dealership.As an alternative, for
vehicles with a production date prior
to 03/2010 there is always the option
of carrying out the update via ISTA/P .
------
Except I think you need more before that point.... as in make satnav actually work...
Though an interesting thought might be if you purchased a map upgrade, it may be all you need...
But might not be....
The USB bit just means it needs a firmware update to be able to update the HDD map from a stick inserted into the glove box. If you're pre the build date and haven't had the firmware you can still upgrade the map but have to do it via DVD. A lot of them had the firmware update though as part of the recall about security when it used to be possible to code blank keys for the car using - wait for it - the car!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sorry - just noticed it's a 2012 car so the above is of academic interest only as it post the 2010 (ish) build date. USB update should work...

To create a new HDD you'd need to create an image of a working one (ie exact copy of the old disk onto a new one). Given that the map is FSC coded to the car, you can't just copy an image of someone else's working drive. I think the SSD swap was probably done by copying a working drive for that car to a new bigger SSD drive. The point being that if your current drive/image is corrupted then your stuck. The only way would be to re-install it all from scratch which means you need the operating system installer - at which point I guess the nav map is the least of your problems.

I'd start by talking to a main dealer to get a feel for what they'd propose to do - and then see if there are any cost effective angles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm going to take it to a main dealer and see what they think.
I'm expecting them to scratch their chin and say "oooh, gonna cost ya", but we'll see.
Just one more thing.
Are yous under the impression that this particular model should have the Nav built in? Or were all models given this as an optional extra?
Thanks once again for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts