I need a new idrive unit, more upto date one,
What idrive unit should i be looking at ti buy and fit,
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and thanks
It is a CIC, just cant seem to find a way of getting sat nav maps updated, was told i need a softwear update to the idrive itself,
If you could shead any light on that at all,
But thanks for getting back to me

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ah right - sorry, misunderstood!

Sat nav maps - the 'idrive update' I think you're referring to relates to pre 2010 build dates not otherwise being able to upgrade the maps using a USB stick plugged into the usb socket in the glove box. My understanding is that you can do the nav maps with discs (and a VIN number-specific FSC code) without the software update.

Given the cost getting map/FSC codes on line (about £35) that you can then download to a usb stick, that saving over buying discs may well make it worth paying for the software update to enable the usb map updates.

I found Rusty at satnavupgrades.co.uk very helpful on the phone so worth a look.

·
Registered
467 Posts

Sat nav maps - the 'idrive update' I think you're referring to relates to pre 2010 build dates not otherwise being able to upgrade the maps using a USB stick plugged into the usb socket in the glove box. My understanding is that you can do the nav maps with discs (and a VIN number-specific FSC code) without the software update.

Given the cost getting map/FSC codes on line (about £35) that you can then download to a usb stick, that saving over buying discs may well make it worth paying for the software update to enable the usb map updates.

I found Rusty at satnavupgrades.co.uk very helpful on the phone so worth a look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big thanks for that, last bm was a flash drive update, looked in same ebay site, he said it was a softwear update, il now have a good look tomrw thanks,
Changing the topic a little,
Could i get a softwear update?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not sure on the software update to be honest - my E63 is 2010 so build was right on the cusp and I was very pleasantly surprised to find it just worked with USB sticks.

The only other thing that made me wonder at the time was that there was another software update which stopped people being able to code blank keys using the vehicle (major theft risk) and mind had had that update done. So either I got lucky with the build date (I'm not usually that lucky) or the security update may have brought USB functionality as a bonus!

Best guess, the software update will be a main dealer job - or someone that really knows what they're doing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks fir that link, think im sorted with the disks,
Well so rusty says

1 - 11 of 11 Posts