BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I've posted in the correct forum:thumbsup

My mate and I are looking to purchase a very low priced E36 so that we can participate in track days.

I would just like to ask what the views are of the members in the know as to which model and size engine we should be looking to source.

Also, If anyone knows of any links where we can search to help us with our search.

Many Thanks in advance:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Hope I've posted in the correct forum:thumbsup

My mate and I are looking to purchase a very low priced E36 so that we can participate in track days.

I would just like to ask what the views are of the members in the know as to which model and size engine we should be looking to source.

Also, If anyone knows of any links where we can search to help us with our search.

Many Thanks in advance:thumbsup
Well, on the track bhp/weight is king... I'd have to recommend something like an M3 - otherwise you're just gonna spend on upgrading the power, handling and brakes of whatever else you buy. If you get one thats tatty or has accident damage - or someone's bazzed it up, you might find a bargain ready to track prep.:thumbsup

Reactions: ZimZimmer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M3 I wish, I'd love to own one of them as they're awesome:cool

I was looking along the lines of a 328i but my mate reckons that a 320 or 325 will be just as much fun. Truth is I would like to at least have half a chance of keeping up:hihi

I'm thinking along the lines of making the car we purchase as light as possible to start with, then sorting out the suspension and brakes and then applying some of the mods that have been mentioned in other threads just to release a little more power.

The car would only be a track car.

When do roll cages have to be fitted and does anyone have any good links to places that sell them and other parts that may be required?

:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Well, on the track bhp/weight is king... I'd have to recommend something like an M3 - otherwise you're just gonna spend on upgrading the power, handling and brakes of whatever else you buy. If you get one thats tatty or has accident damage - or someone's bazzed it up, you might find a bargain ready to track prep.:thumbsup
+1

There are usually lightly enough damaged M3's about in breakers (just got to really keep an eye out, ask around etc) that shouldn't cost much to put right and use.

If a non M car is what you are after, I'd personally say a stripped out 325i would be the way to go, plush you'll have a few easy to spare for upgrades!

·
Banned
478 Posts
+1

There are usually lightly enough damaged M3's about in breakers (just got to really keep an eye out, ask around etc) that shouldn't cost much to put right and use.

If a non M car is what you are after, I'd personally say a stripped out 325i would be the way to go, plush you'll have a few easy to spare for upgrades!
On the lines of what DSK says... Ideal cars for track days are MOT failures... Obviously simple repairs, not a complete knacker... strip it out and away you go...

As DSK says... 325 i reckon is the way forward..:thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
We managed to pick up a bog standard 328 coupe. Stuck on some cheap coilovers a few ball joints and bushes and some EBC brakes with braided lines.
The thing is so much fun :thumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.