BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

in the last couple of weeks it has been flooded around my area, last night i went through a stretch of road which was obviously a bit much for the car (has been fine the previous days)

the engine cut out in the water and would not start again, i knew there and then it was going to be expensive! :frown

today i started stripping the engine down a bit to get an idea of what has actually happened. i took the glow plugs out and turned the engine over to empty any water in the cylinders, the engine turns over no problem, and doesnt seem like anything is catching (bent valves etc)

so i put it all back together hoping i had got lucky, the car now cranks over and trys the start. it runs rough at very low rpm for about 20-30 seconds then cuts out..

now i know no-one can diagnose this from a description but i would like to know what my options are..? tomorrow i will remove the injectors and measure the distance from the top of the piston at t.d.c to check whether any of the con rods are bent..

if we are talking about getting a new engine.. would the 320d engine from an e90 work? (there seems to be alot of them around on ebay)

how about the same engine from a rover? :rofl ;) they seem to be the same engine.>?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah removed the filter a dried it out.. ill do a compression tomorrow.

is there anything non engine related i should look at? electrics in the engine bay etc?

from my understanding its very unlikely to bend valves due to a hydrolock, as when the valve is the open there is no high pressure in the cylinder, the water can just go out through the valve.. the point where the pressure builds up is when the valves are closed and thats when a conrod can be bent?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I would be look looking more at the electrical side of things, cam/crank sensors
Pre supply fuel pump to name a few.
Air intake is high up so would of needed very deep water or a big splash to actually get into the engine?

Oh just reread does look bad, not sure how the engine swaps would go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alot of water came out of the 4th cylinder (one nearest the bulkhead)

the other 3 just had vapour coming out..

for me i think i would rather just get a replacement engine rather than messing around changing the rods etc, if it comes to it that is..

someone did mention injectors to me? not sure if they would have been damaged

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I suppose if there was enough pressure involved in the cylinder it could push water into the injector which would not be good, that's just a theory though. Can't see them getting damaged any other way.

Yeh think engine swap would be easiest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose if there was enough pressure involved in the cylinder it could push water into the injector which would not be good, that's just a theory though. Can't see them getting damaged any other way.

Yeh think engine swap would be easiest.
a mechanic friend told me of a merc he dealt with that had a hydrolock problem, and it jammed one of the injectors and the rest of the engine was fine.. hopefully ill have the same luck!

ill update tomorrow..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Beofre you go tearing the engine apart, I'd be inclinded to get a sample of the fuel out of either the filter or the tank to make sure there is no water in the fuel that is getting into the cylinders and causing the poor running.
To be honest even if the engine has ingested water, its not likely to bend valves but more likely to bend a rod.
If you do still want to check for bent valves then i'd suggest a cylinder leak test, not a compression test. If a valve has been clipped, a compression test may not always show up the fault. A cylinder leak test is a much better option but the equipment is quite expensive so if you have a mechanic friend then maybe he can borrow one for you, or even do the test himself.
You could also take the rocker cover of and check the valve clearance (not familiar with this engine myself tho) with a set of feelers. Any huge deviation would show a bent valve too but like i say, a bent rod is more likely than a bent valve.

HTH

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
if we are talking about getting a new engine.. would the 320d engine from an e90 work? (there seems to be alot of them around on ebay)

how about the same engine from a rover? :rofl ;) they seem to be the same engine.>?

thanks in advance
The E90 engine is quite different, it can be used but does involve a fair bit of messing around to get it to work. There's a thread on here somewhere where a guy did it. :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had the same in my old 7 a few years ago.
The water was only up to athird of the way up my wheels but a jcb fasttrack came flying down the road, over took me and sent the water over my roof!
Poor car died there and then, did all the same as you and left it for a few days just to make sure but in the end it turned out to be just the MAF.
I'd check that first if I were you:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok guys

i have managed to start the car! it doesnt sound as bad i would have imagined!

so now there is white smoke pouring out of the exhaust coming up through the engine bay (driver side)

the car will not rev at all, its almost as if the throttle pedal is not connected! however it did rev up to 2000rpm once on startup and then cut out instantly..

hmmmm

any ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts