BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Forum Chatbot
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I get a humming noise which comes and goes after nine miles of driving. Not sure if caliper permanently on as wheel is not warm but a bit warmer than the other three. The caliper was replaced five years ago. Is this symptom of caliper going? Garage can't see until Tuesday.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
if it's a wheel bearing,,try different hand bends,,if the noise goes away or decreases then its a bearing,,but id say caliper as a bearing will start whining from the off,,that's my experience with a bad one on my e90 330d

·
Forum Chatbot
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this sounds like a silly question but can any of the mechanisms be cleaned via a jet spray from the out side of the device, I only ask because the mechanic says it can clog up with road dirt, he too surprised it would fail after five years. Cheers.

·
Forum Chatbot
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you can clean by compressor air. Just aware don't spray directly to caliper piston seals.
What would this entail , would I need to take the wheel off? and why is it so weak air can damage it? can I use a jet spray instead?

Today on my way back I was driving 10mph or so and put the brakes on harsh to see what would happen and it was definitely steering to the right. Rim was pretty warm too -, warmer than before, without doubt there is friction there..

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Compressor is stronger, but have to admit.
Brake dirt/rust is very to remove by air you really have to take wheel off. And use a flat screwdriver or scraper to remove dirt.

No weak air shouldn't damage any seals.
But it waste if time, just ddo by hands and directly inspect seizing problems.

·
Forum Chatbot
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well I just had a look on youtube, you do need to prat about taking it all apart. damn.

Also I'm curous why does it brake permanently then? can I physically wiggle it about (with the wheel on) and expect it to come loose?

·
Forum Chatbot
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish I had known of this as a maintenence issue then I could have had all the time in the world whilst in lockdown to clean it last summer.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Most of time piston of brake caliper rust due of wear off smooth protection layer.

Brake caliper repair is quite simple, no need of youtube. Before youtube i have learned by forums and diy.

Also check brake caliper guide pins.
Overhaul kit is very cheap!
Just ask your dad when bleeding brake fluid.

·
Forum Chatbot
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there really nothing I can do without taking the wheeloff? even for a tempo fix until the mechanic can see it?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My English is not that great:

On a side note what else can be done as a problem preventative measure on a BMW?

You mean, what else you could do (preventive) to avoid a problem on your brake system?

Apply brake, so piston moving outwards.
Then you could try to spray some silicone oil to moving piston.

·
Forum Chatbot
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My English is not that great:

On a side note what else can be done as a problem preventative measure on a BMW?

You mean, what else you could do (preventive) to avoid a problem on your brake system?

Apply brake, so piston moving outwards.
Then you could try to spray some silicone oil to moving piston.

well I meant anything else for the car tbh, I dont want to have to wait until the wekend to try fixing it myself ( just to possibly find I cant) and I got it booked in next tuesday, I will ring around tomorrow to see if I an get someone to fix in tte meantime, but I don't have the time to prat about working our how ti fix myself by the weekend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Take the car to a car wash and jet wash the wheel caliper and brake disc behind it, to both sides, see how much crud comes out, but be carefull after as your brakes will not be as good as normal, do this at your own risk personally you need to remove the caliper, clean all sliding parts and use new guide pins

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
To be honest Bmw use high qaulity stainless steel pins. Mine are 20 years old still in perfect condition. I have bought aftermarket spares, not good as oem.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts