BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As an audiophile, my quest for having better & louder sound continues as I've discovered another idea of having more sounds in the car while keeping it "OEM" style. :cool

This guide will show you how to use the SAME front-door card tweeters on your rear door cards too.

(FYI: My car is a saloon, so this guide may be the same for Touring, but i am not sure about Compacts/Coupes. As long as a card can be removed, you can still use this guide. & Lastly, I'm not responsible for anything that goes wrong during this, but I'm confident you'll be just fine :thumbsup

Let's begin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* You should have the OEM twitters ready (Note: back designs vary but the circle is always the same size, so don't worry at this point)

///
///
///
* Remove the rear cards (There is a guide somewhere on the net on how to remove cards, I just forgot to include it here :sarcastic )

///
///
///
* Once you have the door card, place your tweeter on the (front-bottom) of the car and draw out a circle, as shown in the red arrow below

* Once the circle has been drawn, grab a hacksaw or an electric saw or any circle cutting tool , since the card is mainly cardboard material.
* !!NOTE!! - ONLY cut 80% of the entire circle (if you cut 100% of the circle, then your tweeter will simply slot though without catching!)
///
///
///
* Here is what the tweeter should look like once you have slot it in.

///
///
///
* Here's the rear (FYI: Some tweeters may need their plastic ring to screw in and the others may have a metal bracket that uses a bolt to hold to it in.)

///
///
///
* Once you have finished, return to your car with the cards.
* What we need to do is cut a small portion of the metal to allow the tweeter to sit inside, also you will need a METAL cutting saw or electric METAL cutting saw
///
///
///
Here is how mine turned out to be (You don't need to be a perfectionist, no-one will know what happend there! haha.:rofl )

///
///
///
* Now lets add the speaker wires inside and guide them in to the interior without being visible.
* Start by allowing the wire through the rubber tubing entrance of the door

///
///
///
* Guide the wire properly behind the anti-swing hinge...

///
///
///
* Once you reach the black door strip, you can then pierce a hole on the strip underneath, so that the wire comes out like this....

///
///
///
* Follow the directions of guiding the wire (Under the strip, under the sill, under the bench and then the rear bench)...via the pictures below...

///
///
///
* Here comes the technical bits:
* You should be able to connect your new wire (gold) together with the OEM wire (blue) and the other wire (white) for the shelf speakers
* RECAP: Blue = original bmw shelf wires // Gold = the wires coming from the door card // White = Going to the rear shelf-speakers themselves.
* !! NOTE !! - - blue+silver is - (minus) and blue+purple is + (plus)

///
///
///
* After joining your door card wire, add insulation tape on each end (brown tape or black tape)

///
///
///
* Now lets's hide that taped joint inside the shelf (Personally I hid them between the shelf-card & the yellow form, so i don't disturb the shelf-speaker)

///
///
///
* Now , let's close up that hole...

///
///
///
* Get your door card, and connect the tweeter. After connecting the tweeter, be sure to insulate EACH wire separately with brown or black tape.
* !! NOTE !! - - yellow+silver is - (minus) and yellow&red is + (plus)

///
///
///
* Let's close up those door cards :cool

///
///
///
* Once this is done, test out your audio. You should be able to notice MORE sounds when you're sitting at the rear seats.
* If you're at the front-seats, then you should be able to notice the OVERALL sound being a bit louder.
* Personally, for me, the sounds where louder & more clear because of the acoustic changes in the car.:cool
//
//
//
* I hope this guide becomes a good use for you, if you require more sounds while keeping the car "OEM Style". If you think it needs changes or improvements, feel free to share your thoughts on this :thumbsup
Edit: The mods, should put this as a sticky thread! :D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts