BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did my powerflex bushes today, and took a few pics to try and explain what i did,
Fist of all i jacked the car up and put it on axle stands

next i took off the front plastic that fits from the front bumper to the lower metal brace,(wind deflector?) the plastic deflector has 3 plastic gromets securing it to the bumper, and 7 philips screws securing it to the metal brace plate.

this is the brace plate removed, 8 x 16mm bolts.

the bushes also use 2x 16mm bolts, when removed you can be pull the arm downwards to aid removal.
before

after

i had to use a 2 legged puller to get the old bush off, as it was stuck tight.
once the bush was off, i fitted the inner part of the new powerflex bush, see below.

then i fitted the outer bush, and lolly pop over the top, ready for fitting.

than i bolted it up to the car.

repeat for the other side and then stand back and admire your work!

refit every thing in the reverse order of removal.

job done
i thought it all went well until............................................

the car fell off the axle stands while i was jacking it up to remove the axle stands! doh luckily the wheels were on

but i now need a new jack:frown

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
:rofl

Good guide and a damn good LOL at the end, glad nothing was damaged apart from your pride and jack :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just what I was looking for :) Well impressed as I was under the impression you needed ball joint splitters for some reason!

Now all I need is a how 2 for replacing the prop shaft rubber coupling :)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
You made that sound FAR TOO EASY:hihi

I have also carried out this job on an E46;)

You missed out the difficult part for someone that doesn't have replacement lollipops:rofl

What is it about E46's falling off of axle stands:mad

Glad you had the wheels on:thumbsup

Great write up:cool

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you like it! yes it was a funny feeling jacking up the car and seeing it slowy drifting your way while trying to pushing it in the oppersite direction with your free hand:thumbsup. The worst part was replacing the track rod end! I would have done a how to, but the dame thing wouldn't budge. So i had to cut it off with a grinder:jaw-dropping It took longer to remove that than it did to do the bushes, start to finish:rofl

·
Registered
578 Posts
I paid £50 labour and £65 (wishbone) and £40 2x bushes from Eurocarparts for this today!

And I dont think they were 'Powerflex!'

£160 out my pocket!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
when you buy the powerflex bushes im guessing you dont get the replacement lollipop so where did you get the new one?? im guessing the one you have is new, certainly looks it in the pics!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the lollipops off a member on here! we have been doing a scheme where we send our old lollipops to some one on here who needs them for there car, and they can then put the poly bushes in them ready for fitting, When you do the job offer them up and see if any1 else wants them, all you have to do is pay £5 to the web site and tehy will be posted off. Just make sure yours are the 66mm ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Really useful guide, I guess I should have read it before getting a garage to do the work for me, lol!

Now then, 220 notes I had taken off me for this job for fitting OE rear bushes kit. Seems ok do you think???

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
In that case, cut out the rubber bushing being careful as they are oil filled. Then use your Dremel with a cutting disc to cut through the metal sleeve that is left from the old bushing :thumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changing E46 Bushes

Excellent Write up:thumbsup.

As I was about to pay alot of money to have my bushes replaced. But after reading this post I think I will take on the challenge myself. But firstly as I am new to this forum I was wondering how I go about getting the lollipops from this site first.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts