BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the tiptronic auto 'box on my 325 and very rarely take it out of auto,was just wondering how many of you make regular use of the manual shift mode ?
i find the full auto mode is suitable for all my driving but then i dont get much chance for a cross country blast which is where i would probably use the manual option

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
WTF? Does the 500 come with those options?...damn, seriously considering one now :D
Yep, forward and reverse.

The flappy paddles should probably be fixed, but you know what Fiat build quality is like......

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
tiptronic or steptronic, and who cares?

I apologise in advance for the length of this answer

I never truly know the difference between steptronic and tiptronic, and I don't really care. But to answer this properly I have to say that I think the 'manual gear selection' in a BMW 325 auto is steptronic. Dont shout at me if I am wrong, as honestly, I really don't care what it is called, only that I appreciate it is an auto box with a manual override facility to select your own gears sequentially, rather than a true manual sequential box (did that make any sense, it did in my head anyway).

So for anyone still confused by all that, and before I answer the question:-

I have a 325 compact ti m sport auto. It does NOT have flappy paddles. It has a gear lever that can (when utilised for forward motion) be in 'D' for drive, or pushed accross to the left for 'sport mode' (basically it just revs out further and is generally that bit more exciting than normal'), but whilst in sport mode it also allows you to select gears sequentially up or down the box range by pushing forward or pulling back on the stick. I say all that to avoid and confusion.

Do I use the sequential option. Oh yes indeedy. More and more as I become more used to the car (and usually with the dsc light illuminated as I don't like the car to have too much control over things when I am doing the shifting).

Town driving and fuel economy wise, it is left in D. Arriving at traffic lights where I know the road narrows up ahead and a bit of extra oomph is needed usually entails a sneaky slip to the left into sport mode and in both modes, 90 percent of the time the box handles my needs fine, but occasionally on a roll on it is possible to find that it doesn't change gear exactly where I want it to. It is rare, but on occasion I felt the gearbox and engine weren't agreeing to what was asked of them at the time, but this rareness also makes it very obvious when it happens. It's probably happened less than 3 or 4 times in the 2 months (and around 2 thousand miles) I have had the car.

So, the sequential option has become ever more of an occurrence in my driving when I want to be 100 percent sure of things. Especially if the need to blow something away from the lights is involved.

I find that in curves and bends where you are driving hard, the only fun way to do it is in sequential, especially so when you want to keep the motor spooled up for that little bit faster response to throttle demands. The added bonus of engine braking is a welcome sideline. Effectively the whole experience of driving the car is totally transformed by the sequential approach and to my mind it gives a lot more feedback. I wouldn't say the car was slow in either of the automatic modes, but the additional input from getting involved with the shifts can make a journey that bit more enjoyable than just using auto, and when I hit slow traffic, it is put back into drive and normality returns (for normality, read lazyness).

Without any humour in this statement, the car comes alive when you are changing gears yourself. It may not be a true sequential box, but it is close enough for any auto driver to find out more about how well the car really handles. To my mind, an auto without the option is not a car I would want.

I have my reasons for owning automatics (the main one being that I ride motorbikes, and any injury to a leg doesn't leave me trapped in the house waiting for lifts). The sequential option of the box does a good enough job of satisfying my demands for more driver input without getting a manual and being bollo*ed if anything should happen. I learned that the hard way and stopped buying manuals a few years back.

I should say though, that the sequential route is both addictive and licence threatening in every way.

I need to add a ps. The car has 2 cupholders and my morning coffee cup is large. If the cup is in the cupholder it gets in the way and becomes annoying, so being a tw*t while it is in there is not an option. Otherwise, it gets used a lot now.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The only car that I now have with triptronic is the 996 which, firstly if honest only goes out about 3-4 times a year. Mine's never out of 'D', unles i am REALLY, and I mean REALLY going for it on a country lane or driving in snow.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The car has 2 cupholders and my morning coffee cup is large. If the cup is in the cupholder it gets in the way and becomes annoying, so being a tw*t while it is in there is not an option. Otherwise, it gets used a lot now.

Technically you're not meant to drink any beverages whilst you're driving, so the design can't really be faulted :rofl

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Technically you're not meant to drink any beverages whilst you're driving, so the design can't really be faulted :rofl
Didn't say it was a design fault. If anything it is a design masterpiece. After all, you could say BMW put it there so that if you have a coffee on the go, you shouldn't be going ino 'race like a divvy' mode.

Plus, I cant really complain as I retrofitted it. The car didnt have a cup holder when I bought it, it came with the sliding cover storage thing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use mine a couple of times a week. Non flappy paddle type.

Can you change between tiptronic and full auto mode and vice versa whilst the car is moving?
You can change in and out of the different modes at any time. Once you've changed into sport mode, nudging the stick forward or backward will switch to manual mode as it changes gear.
Moving the stick back to the right (Drive mode) switches back to full auto mode.

I find that switching into 'sport', then knocking down a couple of gears is great for overtaking. It's also great for changing down coming into a corner for engine braking, as others have mentioned.

I also drive an SMG box, and almost always use the paddles. Don't think I've used the Auto setting for months!:awesome

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.