BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How much cheaper should the indie services be for an old E90 with low mileage and perfect nick?

Assuming this is the best thread to post..

I used to have an E90 serviced at the main dealer. Never had a problem with them.

The car is still basically immaculate. Every document since new is with the car. Always serviced on time with the documents kept etc.Very low mileage for its age.
Now the car is getting on a bit (2008) so 2 yrs ago I decided to try an independent smallish outlet a go, thinking it might be cheaper and overall more suitable. Its a servicer and doesn't sell BMWs or anything (at least not officially).
The independent is known for BMW along with 2 or 3 other indepdent garages in the region. Maybe I was thinking "oh it would be nice to give some business to the smaller guy".

The indie has also been ok with me for the 2 years. Most people commend them. One or two were scathing but I'd imagine thats out of a lot of people. But its seemed to be about the same price as the main dealer or rather not much cheaper.

This year I emailed the independent outlet about a service. Didn't get a reply just a few auto-reminders. Anyway they've quoted me for the "main bi-annual service" but I'm not even sure its doing the right things... maybe missing some and adding unnec ones. My mileage is very very small - a couple of thousand miles or so last yr!

Also, the price is basically exactly the same as the BMW main dealer. Who have all the fancy diagnostics printoffs, 0% interest and a mini valet for free. Plus I think main dealer servicing docs you could say look better if/when you sell the car. ( I regularly get people say"can I buy your car off you. Tell me when u want to tell it" etc). Of course main dealers do their "Value Service " option for older cars.

Initially I went with the indie because their price was a little cheaper the last 2 years.
Now I am thinking... well if I'm paying the same price at the indie as the main dealer... why bother?

Surely an independent should be able to quote at least some way less than main dealers. After all, the indie's own website says that it undercuts the main dealers, but clearly hasn't in my case here!

What are other people's experiences and thoughts?
How much should the indie be coming in below Inchcape, Sytner and the like?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For my last big service which includes,
Oil & Filter
Microfilter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Brake Fluid
The main dealer was £470 & my local indie was £360, I went with the main dealer, I didn't think £110 over 2 years was much of a saving.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It’s not much of a saving but that £110 saved could be put towards an oil and filter change at 12 months as you really don’t want to be leaving the oil in for 2 years, especially if it’s a diesel your timing chain won’t thank you for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts