BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without sounding nosey, Im interested in what you are paying for your insurance policies.
With the current financial crisis not looking like easing up, we're all looking at ways to save cash and car costs is an obvious one.

I have a 1998 750i. I am 31 years old, I have just 1 years no claims with 2 low cost claims in the last 5 years (one was a handbrake fault on my company vectra, it clicked off whilst I was in a shop and rolled down a hill into another car, unfortunately vauxhall wont admit liability despite it being a common issue. The second was vandalism).
I also have 3 points on my licence (sp30). Its kept on a driveway overnight.

I am insured with elephant.co.uk (yeah, I have read they are not the best, but they where the cheapest I could find) fully comp for £130/month.
This I feel is expensive. I am hoping that in the next year or 2 when hopefully I can build up some no claims discount it will come down. Is this the case?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds expensive to me.
Mines a 728i p reg
I am 36 5yrs no claims
fully comp, no claims protection, full legal expenses etc etc, parked on drive, i think the only thing i didnt take out was breakdown cover with greenflag.
I pay £42.10 a month

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think its the no claims thing. The way im looking at it. Ive come from driving expensive lease cars from work, paying around £400/month for a saab convertable to this which I only have to pay insurance for. I'll see this year out with elephant and then shop around some more.
How does no claims work, ie, if you have say 5 years no claims, what discount does that equate to? That may be a silly question but its something i've actually never known.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Anything group 16 plus, most insurance companies will expect at least 2 years NCB, otherwise they'll hike the premium.

For a group 20 car, I was getting quoted 1800 plus with one year's NCB, and only 900 with 2.

A lot of sites will state requirements for high-group cars, such as "Over 28, 2 Year's NCB, Thatcham Cat1" - miss any of those elements and your premium will increase exponentially. :eek

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.