BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondered if anyone on here is running a car with a gutted DPF with no issues at all? (I know you can't just gut the DPF you need the software doing as well).
I have spoken to a couple of reputable tuners on here and some say its fine to gut an old DPF and some say go for a proper downpipe without, at least if you do make a good job of gutting the DPF it will look oe MOT time.

Any views will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
if ya get rumbled at MOT time now that it has to have a functioning DPF for the MOT criteria yal be in a whole world of expensive pain...all they have to do is rev it hard static and when it puffs the typical diesel black sooty smoke plume yal be totally busted...

they had a smoke test anyway prior to DPF introduction so it'l be a giveaway cos diesels dont visably smoke with a DPF fitted...

·
Registered
160 Posts
if ya get rumbled at MOT time now that it has to have a functioning DPF for the MOT criteria yal be in a whole world of expensive pain...all they have to do is rev it hard static and when it puffs the typical diesel black sooty smoke plume yal be totally busted...

they had a smoke test anyway prior to DPF introduction so it'l be a giveaway cos diesels dont visably smoke with a DPF fitted...
The way the new MOT reg is written it looks like its only going to be a visual check for the presents of a DPF anyway and the normal smoke test.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...63018/diesel-particulate-filters-guidance.pdf
Say your DPF is located next to the engine block, if its gutted on the inside and done well a MOT tester wont be able to see the welds, if it still passes the smoke test I think its still going to pass.
If they bring out a proper test for CO2, NOX et on a diesel it will be a different story.
For reference my old 325d had no DPF and that never smoked and the exhaust pipes stayed clean for ages.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
The way the new MOT reg is written it looks like its only going to be a visual check for the presents of a DPF anyway and the normal smoke test.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...63018/diesel-particulate-filters-guidance.pdf
Say your DPF is located next to the engine block, if its gutted on the inside and done well a MOT tester wont be able to see the welds, if it still passes the smoke test I think its still going to pass.
If they bring out a proper test for CO2, NOX et on a diesel it will be a different story.
For reference my old 325d had no DPF and that never smoked and the exhaust pipes stayed clean for ages.
all diesels smoke at some point they run too wildly bewtween rich and lean by definition, its why they fitted DPF's to start with to remove it characteristics of sooty plumes when gunned or revved...like i said if they just blip the throttle at MOT and it emits soot it will be a pointer to maybe investigate the DPF they are not stupid all depends if ya cop an anal tester or not...

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
My mates just had his 3.0tdi audi A5 dpf removal + remap dont know why as it was already 0-60 in 5.5s but this is going upset him....lol

Oh dear mot fail unless you have a dodgy tester

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
there's gonna be plenty of DPF 'less goons who think their big tweeked diesels are some kind of performance animal and they are gonna get a mundo expensive get the kleenex box kinda problem come MOT time shortly..

price ya pay for trying to make diesels behave like petrols...

·
Registered
160 Posts
there's gonna be plenty of DPF 'less goons who think their big tweeked diesels are some kind of performance animal and they are gonna get a mundo expensive get the kleenex box kinda problem come MOT time shortly..

price ya pay for trying to make diesels behave like petrols...
I am guessing your BMW is a petrol buy your last comment.
I have had many petrol cars and I do like them but diesels have come a very very long way in the last few years.
The only reason we bought the E70 X5 in a 3.0d was the 3.0 petrol was slower, does less mpg and is twice as much to tax.
Not many petrols will take on a remapped 335d with 350hp/750nm of torque, or do 45mpg down the motorway, this is obviously my opinion and we all have different views on things in life.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
they are uber complicated and fitted with uber expensive parts (DPF included) to achieve that kind of performance it comes at a price..

theres plenty of grenaded turbo's stuff and high pressure fuel pumps,goosed injectors, DMF's,vibration dampers etc etc on any forum...

they are impressive il admit that but at what cost tho? turbo charge any petrol engine and it will outgun a diesel of the same displacement soley cos it will rev higher to develope more BHP, itsa silly statement comparing a naturally aspirated engine with a turbo charged diesel engine as most diesel owning sensitive types will do to try win an arguement...

anyway its off topic and any MOT tester worth his salt will twig a dodgy DPF and its will be expensive to put back again ...

·
Registered
160 Posts
they are uber complicated and fitted with uber expensive parts (DPF included) to achieve that kind of performance it comes at a price..

theres plenty of grenaded turbo's stuff and high pressure fuel pumps,goosed injectors, DMF's,vibration dampers etc etc on any forum...

they are impressive il admit that but at what cost tho? turbo charge any petrol engine and it will outgun a diesel of the same displacement soley cos it will rev higher to develope more BHP, itsa silly statement comparing a naturally aspirated engine with a turbo charged diesel engine as most diesel owning sensitive types will do to try win an arguement...

anyway its off topic and any MOT tester worth his salt will twig a dodgy DPF and its will be expensive to put back again ...
I do agree with you about the reliability of the new diesel engine components, I work on diesels for a living and when we had contaminated fuel tanks at Southampton Docks it took out about 50 high pressure injectors on our CAT C12/C13 engines, we had no early low pressure injector failures. Our new machines we get in January are running an Add Blue system so lets see how long that lasts.

On another note the high pressure injected petrol engine s are now having injector and fuel pump issues.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
both agreed i wouldn't touch any of the BMW petrols either these days thay are absolute poo...dont forget the 500 quid electric water pumps made of cheese on them too... total garbage for a top marque....

small world ive worked on various heavy and medium diesels for 31 years now...im an old fart...

·
Registered
160 Posts
both agreed i wouldn't touch any of the BMW petrols either these days thay are absolute poo...dont forget the 500 quid electric water pumps made of cheese on them too... total garbage for a top marque....

small world ive worked on various heavy and medium diesels for 31 years now...im an old fart...
I did my apprenticeship with Wartsila diesels working on mainly ship propulsion engines both 4 and 2 stroke, after that I work at the railway on diesel locos with both 4 and 2 stroke diesels.
I now work at Southampton docks and our straddle carriers use engines from cat, scania, Cummins, Sisu etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
I did my apprenticeship with Wartsila diesels working on mainly ship propulsion engines both 4 and 2 stroke, after that I work at the railway on diesel locos with both 4 and 2 stroke diesels.
I now work at Southampton docks and our straddle carriers use engines from cat, scania, Cummins, Sisu etc.

i work on locos currently the 2 stroke electronic injection GM stuff, i try stick to the electronics and control gear and the laptop diags side if i can, im too old for the big dirty bits nowadays i had many years of that shite when i was younger....

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
What no Volvo's i work for volvo truck and bus warranty dept Scania is our biggest competitor they are good but with have the best aftercare as we have the most depots in uk someone mentioned ad blue all our trucks use it ad blue is made from pigs piss it burns like mad if you get it on your skin 1000 litre drums stink in our yard on hot summers days its foul

·
Registered
160 Posts
i work on locos currently the 2 stroke electronic injection GM stuff, i try stick to the electronics and control gear and the laptop diags side if i can, im too old for the big dirty bits nowadays i had many years of that shite when i was younger....
Class 66 by any chance?

·
Registered
160 Posts
What no Volvo's i work for volvo truck and bus warranty dept Scania is our biggest competitor they are good but with have the best aftercare as we have the most depots in uk someone mentioned ad blue all our trucks use it ad blue is made from pigs piss it burns like mad if you get it on your skin 1000 litre drums stink in our yard on hot summers days its foul
We only have 1 reach stacker left now with a Volvo in it, all the new ones have Cummins.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
What the fook does that do? Looks dangerous like it would fall over if not on the flat

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Small world, I worked on them when I was at EWS, we even did some 66 work from Freightliner, Colas and some 59 work for Foster Yeoman.
My brother in law drive's 66's for Freightliner, where do you work then?
I work on these now:-

i used ta work at crewe diesel depot for many years till it closed, i work in warrington now on a dreamy pretty easy little number...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts