BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd ask to see how many 8 series owners we have on the forums and what their personal opinions and views are re: their 8 series?

I personally love the look of the face lifted 8 series cars, lovely simple yet purposeful styling and to be honest a very sublime GT.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Clearly not many.... Which is a shame! im suprised really, there are plenty for sale. So plenty around.

Reactions: Ian S

·
Registered
97 Posts
I seen a sweet 8 series today in petrol station. It was bright yellow and on a T plate. I think it was a 846, couldnt see badge very well but it sounded awesome.
What would something like that put you back?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Am I right in thinking the 8 series isn't a particularly well thought of car?

I like the look of them , but don't know much about the drive. Must go like hell with a V12.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Am I right in thinking the 8 series isn't a particularly well thought of car?

I like the look of them , but don't know much about the drive. Must go like hell with a V12.
Well, IMO up until recently, they have held a high price in the market, so not the obvious choice, your subaru's, Supras and tuner jap cars have been cheaper to buy for ages, but now you can get a decent 8 series for around £4000-£5000 and are so much cooler than any jap car and im going to stick my neck and say they are cooler that some ferrari models :eek.

The 850 csi is the one you want. Its close to 400BHP and does 0-60 in under 6secs. These are rarer and more expensive to buy.

But the normal 850 is a fast car still!! Take a look at this, FBMWSH
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-850-CI-Manual-Find-another_W0QQitemZ260318458846QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item260318458846&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318

The 840 is'nt that bad though, 0-60 in about 6.5 secs and providing it has had that engine change from the dreaded nikasil engines then its a good all rounder.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When they were new, they were simply priced far too high, right up there with the Porsches & Ferrari's, hence why not a great deal of people bought one. They were quite hi-tech and people remember this and immediately think outrageous running costs. Really, it should be roughly the same to run as a 540i/750i. There is a green ishh colouyred R reg model about 14 miles away from me at £4,895 IIRC on an 98 plate. Alot of these also have really nice plush interiors where the leather on the drivers seat doesn't even have the anything like the usual wear/creases you see on many other BMWs with similar miles.

Weighing in at roughly 1800kg, its not a sports car, but it does never the less make a sublime GT, that today still looks seriously impressive and IMO, is one of the very best quality BMWs ever made. Depsite the big engines, they are not really that fast, probably weight etc but again the likes of the 540i are only just swift as well. (Its not the 0-60 that counts, its the 0-100, 0-155 etc that separates the brisk stuff from the seriously quick stuff interms of out right acceleration).

As mentioned, the CSI 5.6ltr V12 came with 386bhp and holds its value like pretty much nothing else. This was in fact to be an M8, but for whever reason BMW did not see it through to the finish but the engine guys managed to complete their job an that even has the usual ///M livery over in it :thumbsup

There's a clarkson video on youtube thats I'm trying to find (can never find anyting when you want!), he tests the 850 csi in its day and summs up the 850 csi very well.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sadly no longer have it...but I loved my 850

Sadly gone but I have very fond memories of my 850. V12, 5 litres of sheer fun but boy could it drink :eek - Owned it for 4 years and all that ever needed doing was a new exhaust, tyres and servicing. Got back pretty much what I paid for it. Glad I didn't have it from new as it was £82K out of the showroom :jaw-dropping (original receipt in the car doc)
I had the manual, never saw the Alpina version in the flesh but I'm led to believe a few right hookers were made. I always fancied it would have made a superb convertible, I think some were done aftermarket but I've never seen one.
I loved it :lol

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
They're pretty sweet cars, I hadn't really seen them that much before but then after noticing a couple, I notice there are actually a fair few around my area. There's one that regularly parks 50 yards away in red, just like the one on ebay that was posted.

·
Registered
313 Posts
probably my favourite bmw ever made, pure muscle car. i have loved them for years, i saw one today and admired it so it's quite funny to see this post. true they are heavy but the overall acceleration is incredible as stated before.

what styling, those big lights at the back and the flips at the front!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
There is a minter, violet with cream interior that picks up from my sons school, not managed to chat to the bloke yet. It's debadged, but 4 exhausts, don't know what model it is.

Surprising how small it is compared to modern cars, always thought they were huge at the time of launch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wanted one for 20 years and got one two years ago

Only the 840 but with 64k miles, BMW history it has been fantastic. I think it had a remap so 24 mpg not the best but not crazy. 0-60 is not the quickest but 50-70 (obviously never exceed that) is amazing! Just about to clock 80k so looking for years of fun from here!:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i love my 850

I've an 850 and I'm in love. It's gorgeous, you rarely see them, as was the case with my old 6 series, and it's the best drive. Very cool!

If anyone has any 850 spares M70 I'd be interested to hear from you, I'm after a throttle body?

Cheers

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
872 Posts
CSi with stick shift - yeah man! Very few of those made. The total production of 850CSi models was 1510 - I have not been able to find info about the number of manual ones.

With regard to the competition I think the 850 compares extremely well in every respect. It is a grand tourer (not a sports car) and probably the best ever produced. It is seriously more reliable than anything else in its area. I have owned a number of GT cars and travelled a fair amount of miles in them. With BMWs I don't even do a pre-vacation check - I just jump in and expect to be in Dubrovnik 24 hours (and possibly a few speeding fines) later. Try that in a Lambo (the speeding tickets will be similar :)).

So, with regard to the number of vehicles for sale and the number of owners, the American site 8coupe.com tries to maintain a registry of E31s, currently having registered a little over 4000 still alive.

In this country there seems to be little interest in vintage BMWs and it looks like the prices for 8-series cars are so low that it is more economical to break them and sell the non-UK specific parts abroad than to bring them up to concourse state where they belong.

I am a new contributor to this site (though not to the German and US E31 sites). I have restored around 250 vehicles in my life, mostly American 1945-1965 cars, and I expect to begin to introduce technical expertise and some practical action into the preservation of vintage top-level BMWs here.

I'm sure other people are working in the same direction and I would love to hear from them.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many fellow members are pretty handy in the mechanical/knowledge base sense, so pretty much much all queries should be answered without any issues.

I do think that the 8 series cars are generally a great buy in terms of a capacious, stylish coupe and amongst the best quality BMWs ever built (as many everyday BMWs are pretty poor IMO). Its definately an ageless car, look great when new and it will still outclass almost every single new BMW if it were sat in a dealers showroom.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
CSi with stick shift - yeah man! Very few of those made. The total production of 850CSi models was 1510 - I have not been able to find info about the number of manual ones.

With regard to the competition I think the 850 compares extremely well in every respect. It is a grand tourer (not a sports car) and probably the best ever produced. It is seriously more reliable than anything else in its area. I have owned a number of GT cars and travelled a fair amount of miles in them. With BMWs I don't even do a pre-vacation check - I just jump in and expect to be in Dubrovnik 24 hours (and possibly a few speeding fines) later. Try that in a Lambo (the speeding tickets will be similar :)).

So, with regard to the number of vehicles for sale and the number of owners, the American site 8coupe.com tries to maintain a registry of E31s, currently having registered a little over 4000 still alive.

In this country there seems to be little interest in vintage BMWs and it looks like the prices for 8-series cars are so low that it is more economical to break them and sell the non-UK specific parts abroad than to bring them up to concourse state where they belong.

I am a new contributor to this site (though not to the German and US E31 sites). I have restored around 250 vehicles in my life, mostly American 1945-1965 cars, and I expect to begin to introduce technical expertise and some practical action into the preservation of vintage top-level BMWs here.

I'm sure other people are working in the same direction and I would love to hear from them.
Great post Talyinka, good to hear another member is heavily involved with the restoration of classic cars including BMW's, we have a member here who is also into his restorations, see here http://www.tonybmw.co.uk/index.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.