BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the old 325tds engine apart yesterday and found this...

On removing the water pump I found that there were several cracks in the plastic impeller which has reinforced my thoughts of replacing the one that is in the replacement engine. The thermostat on the old engine also looked as though it had been there for some time:frown

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I always replace stats and pumps when doing major engine work.
For the cost of the parts you might as well do it. Prevention is better than cure :silly
Its so easy when the engine is out as well :D
How long has the old engine been hanging around Rym?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always replace stats and pumps when doing major engine work.
For the cost of the parts you might as well do it. Prevention is better than cure :silly
Its so easy when the engine is out as well :D
How long has the old engine been hanging around Rym?
The pump and thermostat have always been on my list of things to do to the engine whilst it's out. I tried taking some pictures of the impeller but just couldn't get the cracks to show:frown

The engine has been out for a while now and just been left laying about outside:shifty:

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Prob just a bit of moisture got in there while its been stood about. The rings would clean it off if it was turned over.
Mind you I have freed off worse :hihi
Looks like you are getting on with it though, look forward to seeing more pics :thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've come to a grinding halt at the moment as I'm waiting for parts so I decided that I'd take the old engine apart to see if there is anything that can be cleaned up and sold on:hihi

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The diesel pump was leaking from the casing and it caused the engine to cut out when ever it felt like it, one occasion was when passing a lorry on the motorway.

Looked into replacing the pump but it turned out I could pick up an engine for less and I knew I could do the swap myself:thumbsup

I thought I'd chuck the parts on ebay but knowing what they'll go for is unknown as I've only ever seen one M51 advertised and I bought that:hihi

Seems M51 parts are hard to find:frown

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Its prob easier to replace the engine than just the pump TBH. They are a pain to time up. Even i wouldnt get involved changing just the pump. :frown
Hope it all goes back together ok mate:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its prob easier to replace the engine than just the pump TBH. They are a pain to time up. Even i wouldnt get involved changing just the pump. :frown
Hope it all goes back together ok mate:thumbsup
That was exactly my thoughts especially as the pump alone is costly then you have labour costs and then like you say the timing issues. I can understand why there is no information on this particular engine:hihi

I would like to remove the pump from the old engine to see if it can be repaired and also sold on but I have no idea how the pump comes out and not sure how much the repairs would cost either:confused

Special tools are needed I'm sure:frown

Looking forward to getting the replacement parts next Wednesday and getting them all fitted up and putting the engine back in.

Been laid off from work so I have the time to do the work which means the Touring WILL be at the meet:cool

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Sorry to hear about the work situation Rym :frown
Ill have a look on mon to see if i have any info on removing the old pump. Would be worth having a spare as these do cost a packet!
Ill look forward to seeing the touring at the meet :thumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.