BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed new Brembo msport brake pads on my gran coupe and saved myself 拢170 馃憤. The process went smoothly however after some initial bedding in, I took it for a high speed run and noticed some brake judder which wasn鈥檛 there before when breaking from high speed. This was felt through the brake pedal and was audible from the cabin but only present when braking from 120mph+ (not on public roads of course!)

Is this likely the result of the pads bedding in or something else? 馃 ... I鈥檓 wondering if I should have replaced the pins as they did have slight pits.

Its a 2017 435D 36000 miles. Any thoughts?

Registered
Did you break the glaze on the rotors? They were not replaced, right? Failure to do so can prevent the pads from bedding initially and/or make them bed unevenly resulting in shudder, especially at high loads

Registered
Sounds to me like you did some hard breaking at high speed to bed the new pads in "wrong".
Should bed them in with gentle braking for the first week or 200 miles well that is the way i have done it for ? well since they started fitting disc brakes.
You warped the discs.

Registered
to bed the likes of yellow stuff pads,,around 10 cycles of braking from 60 t0 10 mph then repeat the 10 times,,just decent braking,,not heavy not soft,,always perfect my brakes and disks still look like shiny cd's,no asymetric wear at all

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just the front pads replaced.

I did bed them in with light breaking and then normal breaking and letting them cool initially. It then sat overnight before I drove 50 miles normal driving with no issues under normal or aggressive breaking. It鈥檚 only when breaking from high speed 120mph+ I feel the effects.

Ive driven a car with warped discs before and felt them wobble under load which could be felt at normal driving speeds under heavy breaking.

Ill take it back and do a few more high speed runs and see if it鈥檚 still doing it. I seem to think the judder was getting better the last few runs but I could be imaginening it 馃檮

Registered
check control arms,,,have soemone walk alongside while driving very slow,,keep dabbing the brakes to see if the wheel jerks back into arch

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It recently had an mot and inspection at bmw but prior to this, I was forced onto a curb avoiding an idiot in a white van travelling around 20mph. Hit my passenger side front wheel pretty hard and scratched my alloy. It could just be that my wheel alignment is slightly out, especially given I鈥檓 running spacers on all four corners - I guess this would only amplify any alignment problems.

I鈥檒l give the pads chance to run in another few days and failing that I鈥檒l get it booked in for alignment / inspection of the control arms and bushes. All is good at legal speeds so whatever it is must be relatively minor.

Registered
could be anything,,ive had a sheared in half bush that joins control arm on an e46 330d hitting a pothole,,different arms to yours,,but id say you have a bush on comtrol arm or a bend in summit,but if just braking then id say some sort of bushing has given up the ghost,,accident has made it worse

1 - 12 of 12 Posts