BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have read some of my posts will know I have a passion for good lights.

I have HIDs on both my highs and lows in a 94 318is. This model has the Euro Elipsoids on the lows which features a lens which creates a sharp cut off from the H1 bulb.

Here are the results. I have 35w 8000K colour on the lows, gives a very white light with a tinge of purple.

First two show the lows. Third photo includes the 55w 6000K highs which I am going to replace with ordinary gas bulbs as they take 5 seconds to warm up.

Recommend HIDs on your low beams to all

I have also put some ccfls (angel eyes) and did a diy on this. I put them behind the lens and wasn't happy with the result. I recently took time to redo the job and put them on the front of the lens (glued on). Very happy with the look, but somehow the ballasts have blown. When I get some new ones, I will do a further post.

35 degrees today - bit hot, the aircons on

Turn that heater up:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the thread - those pictures look really promising!:cool..how long have u had then and have u had any problems yet? im almost sold on getting these!:applause

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problems with HIDs e36

G'day - A number of posts have warned people off the Chinese manufactured HID kits. I have three kits, fogs, highs and lows, all Chinese and not one has malfunctioned in the 10 months since fitting.

For the e36 with H1 bulbs, they are easy to fit - I only paid $70US delivered - can give you the company if you want in in the US.

Only trick is wiring the ballasts so that they draw their current off the existing light circuits, but not too hard a job for anyone with common sense.

I like the pure yellow for fogs, 3000K colour temp, but that is a personal preference. I also used 8500K for the lows - not the brightest but still 2.5 times the lumens of a 55w halogen with 4000K colour, which is what most of the standard bulbs are.

The e36 comes standard with well focused low beams, so no dramas with other motorists flashing you. Car also has electric leveling, so can drop them a bit to ensure the lights aren't shining into the car in front's rear window.

I put a 55w kit with 6000K colour into the highs, but am just about to replace them with GP Thunder 100w 7500K xenon/krypton bulbs - cost me $34US

The HIDs take 5 seconds to come up to full brightness, which is not really ideal with high beam. The 100w bulbs will need a new relay and uprated wiring, but that is not a hard job either. Will let all know what these are like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have also have an Ebay set of Hid's on the low beam. The original set had a faulty Ballast, but replacement was quickly sent out tho.
Initially had people flashing me, but adjusted right down now and no probs!
And more importantly sailed through the MOT today with them in!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have also have an Ebay set of Hid's on the low beam. The original set had a faulty Ballast, but replacement was quickly sent out tho.
Initially had people flashing me, but adjusted right down now and no probs!
And more importantly sailed through the MOT today with them in!!
good news about MOT. Provided you have good projector lights with little leakage of light above the cut off, you should have no problems and a much safer ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My kit did with a faulty ballast, once swapped the problem went! i think some kits will throw the message up, then you need to buy a seperate box of tricks to balance the load the OBC see's to remove the message.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't got an obc, so can't really comment. What I do know though is that the standard HID kits draw 35 watts and given they are connected to the existing low beam circuit, they effective act as though you are using a 35 watt bulb. Whether this will trigger an error, I am unsure.

You can also buy 55 watt kits, which are much closer to the existing halogen bulb wattage, but they are much too bright for low beam operation IMHO.

I am replacing the HIDs in my highs with 100 watt GP Thunders with 7500K colour. I will need to wire them with a new relay and upgraded wiring and will post some pics as soon as they arrive from the US.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Was going to start a topic on this but running a search I thought it would be better to just thing this one back up.

I'm just purchased an H1 HID conversion kit for my E36 - how easy was the installation? Is there any wire cutting etc involved? And how difficult is it in comparison to installing CCFL Angel Eyes, like in my DIY in the How-To section?

Cheers :thumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts