BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had some free time this afternoon so thought I'd do a write up - sorry its not more informative and with better images!

I opted for a 6000k kit which is pure white with a slight tint of blue, its the brightest and whitest and in my opinion, the best choice.
Remember aftermarket Xenon/HID Kit bulbs cannot be replaced with just a bulb they need the cabling/wiring as well - see link at bottom of the guide. ;)

Its essentially plug 'n' play, but there's a bit of DIY in finding space to mount the ballasts and working out where the power connectors go.

This is the all the contents of the H1 Xenon/HID Conversion Kit (nearly all kits are the same as this). Ballasts mounts are not included in this photo, they vary anyway with each manufacturer.

Click for large photo

The ballasts are silver packs on the left, the other wires literally just plug in, there's no wrong way of connecting those up which is why I didn't get photos to show you. You'll want to leave everything unplugged until you've mounted the ballasts though.

First thing is to find a place to mount the ballasts. Now I have a 318iS 1.9, yours may be different dependant on engine, but what I found was that there wasn't much room for these ballasts. Make sure the wires will reach the headlamp unit before you drill any holes.

The first one, on the right-hand side of the engine bay, was the easy one (You should be able to work out from this photo where this is. You'll need to drill a hole right though to secure the mounts - but before you do this, make sure that you're not going to be drilling into anything underneath! Also make sure the hole you're drilling is big enough to fit the bolt/screw that goes through the ballast mount, but also make sure its not too big so its secure.

Click for large photo

Once the ballast is mounted, take off the headlight cover (where the existing low beam bulb is) and remove the existing bulb, and disconnect it from the existing connector, yellow in my case. Then unhook the ground, brown wire from where its connected - the photo below shows how it looks before you remove the existing bulb.

Click for large photo

Next thing is to connect all the connectors/cables that came with the HID Kit like in the top photo. Then you'll want to drill a hole in the headlight cover that will fit the bulb through as well as the two power connectors.

These two wires below are part of the HID Kit - the red one easily plugs into the yellow wire, and the black one easily plugs into the brown wire.

Click for large photo

When you've drilled the hole into the headlight cover, quickly check that the new Xenon bulb works by plugging in the power connectors pictured below. Then if all is ok push everything through the drilled hole. Plug the bulb into where the old halogen bulb went and connect the power connectors up like explained above. Here is a photo of how mine looked before I tidied my wiring up a bit, the view is looking straight down at the back of the headlight cover.

Click for large photo

Now you just have to find a place for the other ballast, mount it and repeat the process. I ended up having to mount mine just below the screen washer module, the photo below shows before I had fully mounted the ballast. I'm not 100% sure if this is ok, but it is secure and doesn't move, I also put insulating tape over it as precaution for any overheating.

Click for large photo

After making sure everything is working held firmly in place, I then used more thick insulating tape to make the ballasts even more secure and protected.

The Final Results

Click for large photo

Click for large photo

Click for large photo

Replacing Xenon/HID Bulbs
One thing to remember is that if one of your xenon bulbs go, you can't just go and buy a standard xenon/hid replacement bulb, as aftermarket Xenon/HID Kits have the bulb plugged into the wiring/cable. To get aftermarket bulb replacements, check out this UK site - http://www.xenonshop.co.uk/ about £40 a pair :thumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Look good - word of warning though - some petty MOT testers will fail your car with any bulb conversion, whether blue-tint straight swaps like I had or bespoke xenon conversions. This is not because they are misaligned or any usual reason, but the testers are only supposed to pass lights as standard as fitted to the car in manufacture.
This is I think because of the lights' design with reflection and wattage bulbs is safety checked/regulation-approved at manufacture and is the only standard they are supposed to pass them at.
I had this once, but the next time the tester said 'he couldn't be bothered' and left them in!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yea the Xenons should be self cleaning and leveling which these aint, still getting some though

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well if a car is factory fitted with xenons then they have to have washers and yes they're self-levelling. However aftermarket xenons don't have to have washers.
I know plenty of people who's cars have passed MOT's with aftermarket xenons in. Surely its the same thing as when people buy complete replacement headlight units with angel eyes, I'd say they'd have to be a pretty strict MOT Tester to fail you on this, unless they were very blue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yea i wasnt saying they will never pass just warning the worried few

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have just ordered mine, fitted quite a few in the past so a fairly easy job, although in regards the mot, depends on the MOT Station, My astra passed with a HID Kit where as my skyline didnt so really dependant

However easy enough to wack some ordinary bulbs in for the purpose of a MOT

·
Registered
66 Posts
Where did you get your kit from deano?

dont laugh but apparantly theres a company on ebay that do good quality affordable kits £40ish

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a 10k kit fitted which is far to blue.. the company says pop back and they will change the bulbs to 6k so going to do that.. Does that sound right to you guys? (Another words is it the bulb itself that decides how blue the light will be? ... just so i know i dont need a whole new kit!!)

Cheers

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just had my 10k kit changed to a 6k..... look so much better... the 10k were way to blue... felt like a right chav!

The 6k look so more original like the genuine BMW ones... really pleased :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts