BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Purchased my first BMW today, not picking it up until either the weekend or early next week as they are going to service and MOT it. It's a 2011 320d which I know from looking around here can have issues with the timing chains going if you don't do oil changes every 5k-7k miles and use the correct Castrol oil. The car is coming with a 6 month parts and labour warranty, is there anything I should be looking at once I collect it? It drove nice on the test drive and was no sounds I wasn't expecting from a diesel (the car I currently have is a 2010 MK6 Golf GT TDI 138hp). This is the spec I found from the VIN so I know it won't have Comfort Access (so no trying the whole locking my key in the boot to watch it magically pop open again) or Bluetooth Audio Streaming (is there and easy way to add this or am I better off using USB, although I stupidly forgot to check if there was a USB port in the centre console).

TypeDescription
Model320d
MarketEurope
Development CodeE90 (MUE)
ChassisSedan
Steeringright
Doors4
EngineN47T
Displacement2.00 l
Power135 kW
DrivetrainRear-Wheel Drive
Transmissionmanual
ColorTitan-silber - 354
UpholsteryStoff "blue Shadow/alcantara"/anthrazit - ANAT
ManufacturerBMW AG
Production PlantMunich, Germany
Production Date09/03/2011
1CASelection Cop Relevant Vehicles
1CBCo2 Content
1CCAutomatic Start/stop Function
1CDBrake Energy Regeneration
230Eu Specific Additional Equipment
249Multi-function For Steering Wheel
258Runflat Tyres
2MEM L.-a.w. Double Spoke 194 M/mix.t.
2PALocking Wheel Bolts
302Alarm System
321Exterior Parts In Body Color
337M Sport Package
423Floor Mats, Velour
428Warning Triangle
431Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d
441Smokers Package
470Child Seat Isofix Attachment
481Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger
4MGInt. Trim Fin. Alu Glacier Silver
507Park Distance Control (pdc), Rear
520Foglights
534Automatic Air Conditioning
540Cruise Control
563Lights Package
609Navigation System Professional
612Bmw Assist
615Extended Bmw Online Information
616Bmw Online
620Voice Input System
633Prep.mob. Ph. Business Bluet.interf.
694Preparation For Cd Changer
698Area-code 2
6AABmw Teleservices
6ABControl Teleservices
6VCControl Combox
704M Sport Suspension
710M Leather Steering Wheel
715M Aerodynamics Package
760Individual High-gloss Satin Chrome
775Individual Roof-lining Anthracite
812England Version
850Add Fuel Tank Filling For Export
853Language Version English
877Deletion Cross-over Operation
880English / On-board Documentation
8S2Coding Of Alarm Signal
8S3Automatic Lock When Driving Away
8SCCountry Spec. Release Of Teleservice
8SMVin, Visible From Outside
8SPCop Control
8TGAnti-theft System
8TLDaytime Lights Front And Rear Aktiv
8TMDaytime Driving Lights On Engine St

Thanks in advance and no doubt I will be asking a lot of questions when I get it, if I cannot find the answers on the forums :)

·
Registered
2013 BMW estoril blue f30 330d
843 Posts
Hi,

Purchased my first BMW today, not picking it up until either the weekend or early next week as they are going to service and MOT it. It's a 2011 320d which I know from looking around here can have issues with the timing chains going if you don't do oil changes every 5k-7k miles and use the correct Castrol oil. The car is coming with a 6 month parts and labour warranty, is there anything I should be looking at once I collect it? It drove nice on the test drive and was no sounds I wasn't expecting from a diesel (the car I currently have is a 2010 MK6 Golf GT TDI 138hp). This is the spec I found from the VIN so I know it won't have Comfort Access (so no trying the whole locking my key in the boot to watch it magically pop open again) or Bluetooth Audio Streaming (is there and easy way to add this or am I better off using USB, although I stupidly forgot to check if there was a USB port in the centre console).

TypeDescription
Model320d
MarketEurope
Development CodeE90 (MUE)
ChassisSedan
Steeringright
Doors4
EngineN47T
Displacement2.00 l
Power135 kW
DrivetrainRear-Wheel Drive
Transmissionmanual
ColorTitan-silber - 354
UpholsteryStoff "blue Shadow/alcantara"/anthrazit - ANAT
ManufacturerBMW AG
Production PlantMunich, Germany
Production Date09/03/2011
1CASelection Cop Relevant Vehicles
1CBCo2 Content
1CCAutomatic Start/stop Function
1CDBrake Energy Regeneration
230Eu Specific Additional Equipment
249Multi-function For Steering Wheel
258Runflat Tyres
2MEM L.-a.w. Double Spoke 194 M/mix.t.
2PALocking Wheel Bolts
302Alarm System
321Exterior Parts In Body Color
337M Sport Package
423Floor Mats, Velour
428Warning Triangle
431Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d
441Smokers Package
470Child Seat Isofix Attachment
481Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger
4MGInt. Trim Fin. Alu Glacier Silver
507Park Distance Control (pdc), Rear
520Foglights
534Automatic Air Conditioning
540Cruise Control
563Lights Package
609Navigation System Professional
612Bmw Assist
615Extended Bmw Online Information
616Bmw Online
620Voice Input System
633Prep.mob. Ph. Business Bluet.interf.
694Preparation For Cd Changer
698Area-code 2
6AABmw Teleservices
6ABControl Teleservices
6VCControl Combox
704M Sport Suspension
710M Leather Steering Wheel
715M Aerodynamics Package
760Individual High-gloss Satin Chrome
775Individual Roof-lining Anthracite
812England Version
850Add Fuel Tank Filling For Export
853Language Version English
877Deletion Cross-over Operation
880English / On-board Documentation
8S2Coding Of Alarm Signal
8S3Automatic Lock When Driving Away
8SCCountry Spec. Release Of Teleservice
8SMVin, Visible From Outside
8SPCop Control
8TGAnti-theft System
8TLDaytime Lights Front And Rear Aktiv
8TMDaytime Driving Lights On Engine St

Thanks in advance and no doubt I will be asking a lot of questions when I get it, if I cannot find the answers on the forums :)
Hello and welcome!
it’s the year 2007-2009 is when the famous n47 timing chain snapping made. I had a 2008 n47 and managed to get past 177k miles from 60k when I bought it, then I suffered an oil leak and the engine ran dry causing the chain to slip otherwise it was a strong engine with nothing wrong. Yup always have fresh oil and new filter every 8k-10k at max and you’ll have no problems of going past 200k miles mark.

Enjoy the car when you get her :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome!
it’s the year 2007-2009 is when the famous n47 timing chain snapping made. I had a 2008 n47 and managed to get past 177k miles from 60k when I bought it, then I suffered an oil leak and the engine ran dry causing the chain to slip otherwise it was a strong engine with nothing wrong. Yup always have fresh oil and new filter every 8k-10k at max and you’ll have no problems of going past 200k miles mark.

Enjoy the car when you get her :)
Thank you. I found conflicting information when I was looking at the timing chain problem, some places said all n47 engines had it, others said only earlier models. I will make sure to do regular oil changes to be safe. Only took it for a 20 min test drive so can't wait to get it fir a proper drive. And I did the whole focus on how it drives and not whst features it has thing, so every time I see a post about a feature/option I'm like damn I wonder if I have that. Looking at the options list though it doesn't seem very spec'd out

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thank you. I found conflicting information when I was looking at the timing chain problem, some places said all n47 engines had it, others said only earlier models. I will make sure to do regular oil changes to be safe. Only took it for a 20 min test drive so can't wait to get it fir a proper drive. And I did the whole focus on how it drives and not whst features it has thing, so every time I see a post about a feature/option I'm like damn I wonder if I have that. Looking at the options list though it doesn't seem very spec'd out
All I can say is enjoy the RWD experience. I went from a FWD to RWD, I can’t see myself going for anything else other than a RWD car. I’ve had Audi s3, and a Scirocco R then to an e90 320d. It was no where near as fast but it was soo much more fun to drive

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I can say is enjoy the RWD experience. I went from a FWD to RWD, I can’t see myself going for anything else other than a RWD car. I’ve had Audi s3, and a Scirocco R then to an e90 320d. It was no where near as fast but it was soo much more fun to drive
Yeh this will be the first rwd I have owned, so not sure what to expect. On the test drive (was through town) didn't really get much of a feel of it. From reading up on it, and the fact loads of people drive them without going sideways all the time,the stability control system stops the rear from being lively.

My last 4 cars have been the MK 6 golf for the last 4 years, which I love, an A3 TDI and 2 MK PD150 MK4 Golfs, not sure how the 320d uses its power compared to the vags

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yeh this will be the first rwd I have owned, so not sure what to expect. On the test drive (was through town) didn't really get much of a feel of it. From reading up on it, and the fact loads of people drive them without going sideways all the time,the stability control system stops the rear from being lively.

My last 4 cars have been the MK 6 golf for the last 4 years, which I love, an A3 TDI and 2 MK PD150 MK4 Golfs, not sure how the 320d uses its power compared to the vags
If you hold in your traction control for 5 seconds or so you will have all traction and stability control off on BMWs ;) all depends on what tyres you decide to put on. I’m running Michelin Pilot sport 4s and it’s grippy with 650nm to my rear wheels on my current car. You’ll have a hidden menu to read some live parameters of the car which I find is cool. When you collect your car look on the bottom side of the passenger windscreen from the outside you will see your vin number. Take the last 5 numbers and add them up and that will give you the code to unlock the hidden menu.

Have a look at purchasing BimmerCode and an OBD Bluetooth adapter for the car

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you hold in your traction control for 5 seconds or so you will have all traction and stability control off on BMWs ;) all depends on what tyres you decide to put on. I’m running Michelin Pilot sport 4s and it’s grippy with 650nm to my rear wheels on my current car. You’ll have a hidden menu to read some live parameters of the car which I find is cool. When you collect your car look on the bottom side of the passenger windscreen from the outside you will see your vin number. Take the last 5 numbers and add them up and that will give you the code to unlock the hidden menu.

Have a look at purchasing BimmerCode and an OBD Bluetooth adapter for the car
Not sure what tyres it has on it, they looked new, do then need to be run flats (that's what it says it originally came with) and are they better/worse fir grip/road noise?

I have carista already for the golf, that allows be to enable/change features on the bmw too, not sure what yet though, but think it's similar to carly.

I use torque Pro fir live data, although not sure how accurate it is, and vcds for proper diagnostic (think Insa D and P and bmw equivalent?)

Would bimmercode give more? And would it would with the carista obd adapter?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not sure what tyres it has on it, they looked new, do then need to be run flats (that's what it says it originally came with) and are they better/worse fir grip/road noise?

I have carista already for the golf, that allows be to enable/change features on the bmw too, not sure what yet though, but think it's similar to carly.

I use torque Pro fir live data, although not sure how accurate it is, and vcds for proper diagnostic (think Insa D and P and bmw equivalent?)

Would bimmercode give more? And would it would with the carista obd adapter?
Stay away from run flats. They tend to generate more road noise and give you a harsher ride. By using BimmerCode you can code stuff into the car, basically personalising as your own. You can read fault codes with BimmerLink. Great combo and carista should be compatible. I use a cheap OBD adapter I got from eBay and it still works.

ISTA P and ISTA D let’s you read fault codes and do coding on BMWs but I haven’t used it before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
W
Stay away from run flats. They tend to generate more road noise and give you a harsher ride. By using BimmerCode you can code stuff into the car, basically personalising as your own. You can read fault codes with BimmerLink. Great combo and carista should be compatible. I use a cheap OBD adapter I got from eBay and it still works.

ISTA P and ISTA D let’s you read fault codes and do coding on BMWs but I haven’t used it before.
Ah ok, for the price of run flats you can get some decent premium brand non flats which I'm guessing will last longer and handle better.

I will give BimmerCode trial a go and see what it can do that carista can't :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at the engine being N47T does that mean it's less likely to have the timing chain problems?

·
Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
47 Posts
Looking at the engine being N47T does that mean it's less likely to have the timing chain problems?
My research suggested that the N47T was the last incarnation of that unit, I had it in my 2012 E92. There will always be the odd one that goes bang, as with all engines, but I was happy that this version was a good one. BMW also used the N47T in some of the early 3/4 series, no major reports of cam chain failure in those.
Service is always the key of course, a neglected car will be a nightmare regardless of what engine it has.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My research suggested that the N47T was the last incarnation of that unit, I had it in my 2012 E92. There will always be the odd one that goes bang, as with all engines, but I was happy that this version was a good one. BMW also used the N47T in some of the early 3/4 series, no major reports of cam chain failure in those.
Service is always the key of course, a neglected car will be a nightmare regardless of what engine it has.
Yeh mines an early 2011, I have read conflicting things, some say the revision stopped, others say it didn't, and others say there was never a problem in the first place BMW just put stupid high mileage oil service change recommendation to sell fleet cars so as long as you do the oil change around 7k or yearly and filter change 14k or every other year they are fine.

Again, from research a flap swirl delete seem to be recommended so will do that once the 6 months indy dealer warranty is out

·
Registered
2013 F11 503d
312 Posts
Hi and Welcome,
Can I just recommend a good diagnostic check when you first get it in case any issues turn up which you can get sorted under warranty. I totally agree with the oil changed interval mentioned above ( I change my oil filter again in-between oil changes) but I don't trust any dealers so I typically change the oil as soon as I get the car so I know what is in it and when it was actually done (me, paranoid? no!). Oil and filters are cheaper than engines.
If you want any part numbers or info on your specific car, go onto realoem.com and put your last seven digits of your vin into it to get a great source of information.
If your planning any 'out of warranty work' then I'd go with a EGR and DPF delete but get this done by a professional (the resident one here is bwchiptune who has a great reputation) as getting it wrong brings serious problems. If you do an EGR delete then remove the inlet manifold and clean it, your car will thank you for it.
Have fun with your new car (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hi and Welcome,
Can I just recommend a good diagnostic check when you first get it in case any issues turn up which you can get sorted under warranty. I totally agree with the oil changed interval mentioned above ( I change my oil filter again in-between oil changes) but I don't trust any dealers so I typically change the oil as soon as I get the car so I know what is in it and when it was actually done (me, paranoid? no!). Oil and filters are cheaper than engines.
If you want any part numbers or info on your specific car, go onto realoem.com and put your last seven digits of your vin into it to get a great source of information.
If your planning any 'out of warranty work' then I'd go with a EGR and DPF delete but get this done by a professional (the resident one here is bwchiptune who has a great reputation) as getting it wrong brings serious problems. If you do an EGR delete then remove the inlet manifold and clean it, your car will thank you for it.
Have fun with your new car (y)
Thank you. All good advice 🙂 I have mainly owned Vags in the past so am familiar with Vagcom/vcds scans to check for errors and reading live data (fuel/airflow, turbo boost figures etc) to spot issues, what is the closest thing to this on BMWs, Ista d?

My golf has the egr/dpf delete and remap, was done by previous owner but on driving my friends same spec without the deletes mine definitely feels a smoother power/torque through the gears, not sure how much is the deletes and how much is the remap, mine does however puff out a lot of black smoke on acceleration, would the BMW do the same?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car Water Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

Car still at the dealers unfortunately, waiting for MOT. Wheels were sent away for a refurb so good as new (and black) now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts