BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys?. I’m new to BMW having only picked up my 120d m-sport 6 months ago. Gotta say that so far I’m impressed with the car except the vibration at 75mph.
My main problem though is that today while driving at around 70mph the car started to shake and continued to do so while I slowed down on the slip road. When I parked up at work the rear drivers side wheel was red hot, I’m guessing calliper. Has anyone else had this?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
If you had an infra red laser guided temperature gauge (yes I have :) ) you could compare temps either side, and come to the same conclusion, or maybe the bearings shot, jacking up and trying to spin the wheel will give an unholy graunch - poss bearing, or maybe see the disc isn't flat.

It's worth a spin :)

I'll get my coat :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. When I drove home from work last night (25 miles mainly motorway) the calliper seemed fine and was cool when I got home. I did have some slight vibration at 70-75mph though. Could it be intermittent? Or worse when the weather is hot?

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
99% will b caliper,,they can,,as has been said above be intermitent.depends on how far gone it is,,it will get worse and cause differing probs..like reduced mpg/vibration/hot discs...etc..fronts are usually worse as they are larger and take up more braking...wehn it happens pull over and aquirt a little water onto each disc,,will soon see which one it is..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the delay in posting this update. New calliper fitted along with pads and discs on the rear. Brake issue went but still had the shakes. Took it to my local tyre guy who removed all the weights and re balanced. It’s like a new car now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.