BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to this forum, looks like a wealth of info tho!!! just bought this 328M-TEC convertible,coil overs, 18 inch wheels and full sebring exhaust, was after one or a while then this popped up on pistonheads, a week later it was mine, love it. Still can't bring myself to sell my MGF tho haha.......

will post some more when i take them, Cheers, Gary.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Hi Gary and welcome to Bimmerforums UK, :thumbsup

I can bring you round to selling your MG, you can't get bits for them easily anymore, some parts not at all, and the headgasket is going to go soon as it's a K series engine:hihi, does it misfire yet first thing in the morning then clear? :hihi

·
Registered
788 Posts
welcome ! looking at that picture samson and delilah comes to mind lol, ditch the mgf im sure there is loads of newly qualified hairdressers out there looking for one, and i totally agree with ronnie new headgasket looms in the horizon, sell it quick while you still have the 400 quid it will cost to replace that gasket, i used to work in a rover garage and the main problem with the k series engine is the poor quality gaskets, if you do keep it then get a clinger gasket which should outlive the engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah mate ive had the MG for 7 years so know the cars inside out, they're ok engines, just out dated now and not as tough as modern engines, but they just need looking after a lot more than other engines, too many people get them and think they're gonna last as long as other engines with little maintanace, this isnt the case as you've always got to be keeping check on water, oil (levels and temps). The majority of MGFs were bought and run into the ground by owners (or hairdressers if u like:hihi) that had graded up from small cars,the likes of clio, KA etc etc etc as they liked the look of the MG, but didnt know what they were taking on and thought they would run aswel as their previous car did without lifting the bonnet once in the life of the car, sadly thats not the case. Everyone knows a person like this,who doesnt know where the bonnet release on there car is (no comment on the sex of that person......) and everyone knows at least one person who has had a bad expierience with an MGF and i bet this person doesnt know where or how to check the levels in a car.

Its basically had everything done on it over the last 7 years , the Head gasket was replaced 20k ago,both coolant pipes under the car, brakes (discs, pads a few times and most of the brake lines) new hubs and wheels, full new hood, radiator, windscreen ( that was my fault oops) timing belt, water pump, clutch, clutch master cylinder (twice) full exhaust, too name a few not mention all the extra bits (wheels, skirts etc) its been well looked after and with no expense spared which is why its worth more to me to keep than to sell, for what i'd get for it, so afraid you'll not bring me to sell it :D:D Doesnt miss at all as i service it every 6k or so, done most of the work myself to save labour costs, there are good ones out there, but if theyre neglected then they dont last long.

As for parts, they're as easy to get them as they are for any other car of they're age, just cos MG are gone isnt the end of the line, parts are actually cheaper these days.

Ahhhhhh, I love all the rivalry of the different marques, so for now i'll sit on the fence :D hahaha

Seriously tho, good forum .

Gary

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I just fitted a new N/S/R driveshaft on one last week after the INNER CV blew up, the cage cracked the entire circumference in half causing loss of drive :hihi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts