BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am a new member here, had my 530d about 5 months and thought it was time I joined a forum.
I have been a member of a Toyota Forum for 8 years and know how usefull they can be and this seems a very good forum from what I see so far!

A little about me:

I live in wolverhampton, work as an electrical engineer and am setting up a performance center next year (mainly aimed at toyotas)
I have a few Toyotas and race one in particular in TSS and a few other mini series. I am a bit of a car nutter and spend most of my free time tatting with them.
I rebuilt the engine and gear box last year in my Toyota and seem to spend a fortune on it, this is why I have the BMW. It is a daily runner, a place of calm and quiet (Well not on idle its a DERV:rofl ) I have no plans to moddify or tune it, well apart from a remap perhaps, but for ecconomy, the extra power is of no interest to me. :)

I have the normal E39 issues, level sensor was snapped on the drivers front so I replaced the plastic arm with an alloy one, all good now. The rear cup holder is smashed to bits and the fog lights are cracked. Other than that its great.:D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bud!
I love all things car related, if there is a car and a stop watch involved I will be there.

I have plans to build a BMW track car once my current build is out of the way, E30 based built from a bare shell as always. I am just fishing around for engine info for it, ecu wil be Motec M800 as I use one ecu for all my cars, simply use a different resistance in each loom so it auto swaps maps as it goes car to car. I will do engine threads when the time comes closer. Would like to mid mount it tho :D

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
mrbarry, A very big welcome to the forum:D

I look forward to seeing many more posts from you in the future. I will be especially interested to see the E30 mid mount:hihi

As Red stated that is a very impressive hobby:thumbsup

Hope you'll be posting more pictures of the Toyota up in the "members projects" forum. This section includes ANY car, Not just BMW's:thumbsup

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure will mate. I didnt know how a Toyota would go down on a BMW forum, after all Toyota are seen as a cheap chearfull budget car normaly. Over on the GT4OC we love all cars that are well built apart from Subarus as there are sooo many of them it gets boring :lol No, I jest.

I am glad its just as friendly here to other makes. :)

I will post some pictures and details in the correct place later, or check out www.toyota-sprint-series.com and look for me by name and avatar ;)

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Sure will mate. I didnt know how a Toyota would go down on a BMW forum, after all Toyota are seen as a cheap chearfull budget car normaly. Over on the GT4OC we love all cars that are well built apart from Subarus as there are sooo many of them it gets boring :lol No, I jest.

I will post some pictures and details in the correct place later, or check out www.toyota-sprint-series.com and look for me by name and avatar ;)
Hi and welcome Mr Barry :thumbsup

Toyotas go down great here :hihi
Considering Ive got a Supra (currently at a friends unit as my E46 is filling my garage :mad) and have a 2jz gte motor Im currently rebuilding with some fruity bits :cool

Straight sixes are the way forward for me...BMW or Toyota!

Feel free to start a project thread in the project forum when you get started. I look forward to seeing this build progress (hopefully faster than mine is :frown)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts

A true car enthusiast will appreciate any good vehicle. In my opinion there's not a single car out there that does not have it's flaws.

At the moment it seems we're all lucky to be driving cars regardless of make:frown

I went to Trax once and the amount of Subaru Imprezza's that were there was hideous. There were more of them than there were Ford's :lol

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
welcome to the jungle :)
and...i think you'll soon discover we aren't a snooty bm beats all others type forum here.
i still go misty eyed over my vr6 corrado from time to time lol
nah...petrolheads is what we are ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great stuff :D I am also glad the 2JZGTE is a well liked lump, thats what I will be putting in the E30 ;) Mainly because I have access to a low milage engine with manual box, turbos, alternator and manifolds. The rest is not worth talking about. :cool

A 2JZGTE with a 3 inch exhaust and a tiny boost hike is good for 400bhp @ the flywheel, or 360 at the road :) In an E30 stripped and caged thats going to be enough:hihi The real pace on track will come from handling the same as my Toyota :cool

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Welcome. Glad to hear the 530d is serving you well. Toyota's are awesome and the sports versions are great with huge reliabilty. I've had 3 celica's, 1 GT4 (ST185), MK3 Supra Turbo and a MK4 Supra TT. All were fully loaded, trouble free and never complained or broke down after consistent hard driving. Your Celica sounds interesting and should be quite a car for your races.

I agree with the Suburu thing, great car but once too many people have one it just looses its sparkle. I have noticed that they don't age well either.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I some times think the colour scheme is a bit OTT, but most people like it. Its a track car after all not a road car, but it does get a bit of road use for hot hatch bating ;)
Other thing is the colours and graphics are mainly paint not stickers so changing them would ba a pain :lol:

Do you run any track days from here at all? Its a great way to use the car at its limmit in safety. If so I would love to come along to one in the BMW or Toyota, BMW seems to drift nicely down the lanes :)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Ouch ..... hope the person with the 933 Turbo birched himself after that!! thats my favourite all time Porsche :frown

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its not going to buff out thats for sure. I went thru a tire wall at about 60 sideways last year in my car, thats what you get for racing :lol:
Unfortunatly there was a man with a camera standing by at the time too :?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The tires are just out of shot but as it happens I caught the slide but the car span around hitting them drivers side first and moving a LOT of hay, rubber and water (they always fill with rain :frown ) That only cost a few quid to fix, I have spare panels around the place as this is expected. I did badly flat 2 new toyo888s tho at £152 each.

By the way, liking the snow effect, relaxing :) Quite a slick site in fact. Some great touches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.