BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls, I'm Rick I'm 27 and from Blackpool, Just in the process of buying an E36 316 from a guy at work. Its a 97 model with only 67k on the clock. Stacks of history and stuff with it so should be a pretty good car.

I've been in to VAG cars for the past few years, and owned numerous golf gti's but as I'm doing nearly 60 miles a day I needed something a bit better built for the job.

Is there anything to keep an eye out for on the 1.6 engine?

I'll get some pictures up next week when I pick the car up :thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate.......:cool

Nothing too bad to watch out for with those engines. Just cooling system maintenance. Change the thermostat and water pump. There is also a plastic elbow on the rear of the cylinder heads that can break...:frown

As long as they are not overheated, they are very reliable....:thumbsup

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Hello and Welcome Rick :D

Nice to see another Ooooop North member :thumbsup
You'll get all the support and help you'll need on the forum and there's a few guys local HERE.
Enjoy the drive, you'll never go back :cool

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the welcomes everyone, we've also got a low mileage 97 318 auto in the family which I did the headgasket, water pump and thermostat on a few months back after it got a bit warm. I'd heard the 1.8's were pretty common for it off an old work mate of mine but just wanted to know if the 1.6's were the same. I'll certainly keep an eye on all the levels etc.

I'm actually really looking forward to getting it now as it'll be the tidiest car I've owned. And its got climate control on it which I'm proper happy about, I know it wont be the quickest car but as long as it gets me to work with out drinking fuel I'll be happy. My current mk3 golf gti is going through about a tenner a day at the moment and thats taking it easy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I've just picked my new car up and turns out I got the mileage slightly out. It's only done 18k from new!!! It's a 316SE and it's just had 4 new tyres on it too. Had a nice steady journey home playing the new game of trying to keep the MPG needle above 30mpg :thumbsup On the whole I'm very happy with it and I've got a set of 17" BBS 2 piece split rims lined up for it too so it should look better than the standard rims. Really fancy a factory boot spoiler for it though if anyone has one knocking about?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts