BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Not a BMW man yet but I am looking for an older beemer estate to use for a bit of a workhorse while I am working on my main project, a Ford GT40 replica.

Looks like you guys have a good community here and I am sure there will be some good advice on what type of budget beemer estate I should be looking for

Well just wanted to say hello.

Trev

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welcome,

best thing to look for is either an e34 or e39 5 series touring
Yeah I've been looking at one or two E39's, them seem to be incredibly good value at the moment but I need to have a read about running costs and buying advice first

Trev

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welcome to the forum....

I think we are all car nuts on here not just bimmers so get the pics up of the GT40....:eek

I would defo go for the 5 series touring if its going to be a workhorse.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Hello and Welcome Aboard TrevS :thumbsup

Sorry to be tedious but pics are a must :yes and an E39 touring I'm sure will fit the bill :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the interest guys. I have been working on my GT40 for nearly a year now and started the project with no previous experience in car building or mechanicals.

So far I've fabricated all the aluminium panels for the chassis, fitted the fuel tanks, started work on the cooling pipes and just about ready to start work on the suspension and the brakes.

It doesn't look like much from the picture but it's taken MANY hours of hard work to get to where the car currently is

If anyone is interested in seeing more pics and info I keep a build log on a facebook page I setup here:
http://www.facebook.com/GT40builder

Trev

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also the questions I get asked most are what colour are you going to paint it and what engine will be in the car?

The aim is to fit a Ford small block V8 347 Stroker. That means a 5.7litre engine with approx 420bhp.

As for the colour I am going for Linden green, a pale green. It's a bit different from the normal gulf colours but I think it's the perfect vintage colour.

One day:

Trev

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for the interest guys. I have been working on my GT40 for nearly a year now and started the project with no previous experience in car building or mechanicals.

So far I've fabricated all the aluminium panels for the chassis, fitted the fuel tanks, started work on the cooling pipes and just about ready to start work on the suspension and the brakes.

It doesn't look like much from the picture but it's taken MANY hours of hard work to get to where the car currently is

If anyone is interested in seeing more pics and info I keep a build log on a facebook page I setup here:
http://www.facebook.com/GT40builder

Trev
Trev, you defo need to start a project thread matey. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Welcome to the forum and nice project!! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts