BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Many thanks first off all for your help in advance.

I have a 320d at the moment which 58 plate and my turbo charger is gone 2 days ago. I was quoted around 2 grand to fix this. Then mechanic said my clutch and dmf like to be gone soon as it judders a lot... And a few others problems too. So I decided to consider getting another car instead of spending 3 grand to get my car back to road properly. it has got 92k on the clock..

I had a look at 520d s today in BMW dealership and liked one with 56k mileage on the clock. It has got many options thou. Sat nav, leather automatic gearbox, metallic paint and so on. it is £17.5K with 12 months warrantly and tyre insurance, gap insurance and allow insurance. By the way it is 60 plate...

Whilst I like the car, but the mileage put me off slightly. Do you guys have any bad experience with 5 series(520d(184ps))? one of my friend said, BMWs goes wrong after 50k miles. I dont believe that is true, but I just need some help on making decision. I mean 56k on the clock, is it really high? what might possibly go wrong a few years? Turbo? Gearbox? have you had any common fault on these cars?

I also would like to know your opinions about 520d s. How is it to drive? I usually do motorway mileage.

Many thanks for your help.

I look forwrd to hearing your valuable thoughts.

Thanks
Mesut

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You have had one dody 2.0 diesel why do you want another. If you must have an oil burner gof for the 525d or a VAG/merc who seem to build better disels than BMW.

·
Registered
81 Posts
56k within 3 years is likely just lots of motorway miles so not much to worry about there. BMW diesel engines really seem to be bullet proof as long as they're serviced properly. I've seen examples recently with 250k miles and still pulling very well. Mine is at 162k and I have no worries about it at all. So basically, don't worry about the mileage.

If you get that 5 series just make sure you take care of it and especially take care of the turbo. Regular servicing with correct oil. Don't boot it until the oil has heated up as you'll risk turbo damage, and try not to immediately turn the engine off after parking - let it continue running for a moment so that the turbo spools down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have had one dody 2.0 diesel why do you want another. If you must have an oil burner gof for the 525d or a VAG/merc who seem to build better disels than BMW.
The reason i wanted 2.0 engine is Economy of it to be honest. I heard that 2.0engines have been re-engineered after 59. And i thought that they have fixed common issues.

Is it not true?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry to step aside from your initial request, but it is hard to believe that turbo+clutch+dmf=£3k

Secondly, parts like turbo and clutch will fail on any manual diesel at some point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was just a rough quote thou. I believe it will cost more than that. Sorry.. Not much into cars that much..

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
For 17k get a 325d or 525d or 635d

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Mate the 4pot Diesel engine on a BMW has been rubbish and troublesome since it first came out and no matter how much they try I don't think BMW can improve the reliability of this engine so my advice stay clear of the 2.0D

I have a cousin who has a E90 320d he has had nothing but trouble from his car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts