BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Firstly may I apologise for this thread as I know there have been numerous topics on this issue. But that is the problem. Having read through so many articles, I am even more confused so really need your help!! :confused

I am looking to buy a 3 Series Coupe imminently. It is likely to be either a 2008 UK registered 335i or 335d with Sat Nav Professional. :D

I have an iphone 3g with the latest 2.2 software.

Ok my understanding of the iphone telephony is this. It matters not whether I buy a vehicle with a USB option or an iPod interface cable (the one the retrofits in the glove box), as the iphone works through the Bluetooth function (if fitted of course)?

What I am seeking though is this.

1) I want my iphone 3g to be charged
2) I want to be able to make/receive calls
3) I want to play my music using the idrive system (with the album track details being displayed)

I’m not fussed about being able to play music & make/receive phone calls at the same time, as long as I can switch to either whilst connected.

There have been many threads concerning the charging issue with the iphone 3g, but there is a suggestion that a special dongle known as a “scosche passport car charging adapter” could solve this particular problem?

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TS696LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0MQ&mco=Mjg0NjU4Mw

Is there any difference between the iPod interface cable(the one that retrofits in the glove box) and the USB interface (also known as the 6FL option)?

Lastly, if the vehicle does not come with either option which one is the best to retrofit?

Hope this all makes sense?!

Apologies again for this thread but I hope someone will be able to simplify matters.

Kind regards

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Not something I know about but I'm sure someone will be along to help you :cool (a free bump for you :))

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Firstly may I apologise for this thread as I know there have been numerous topics on this issue. But that is the problem. Having read through so many articles, I am even more confused so really need your help!! :confused

I am looking to buy a 3 Series Coupe imminently. It is likely to be either a 2008 UK registered 335i or 335d with Sat Nav Professional. :D

I have an iphone 3g with the latest 2.2 software.

Ok my understanding of the iphone telephony is this. It matters not whether I buy a vehicle with a USB option or an iPod interface cable (the one the retrofits in the glove box), as the iphone works through the Bluetooth function (if fitted of course)?

What I am seeking though is this.

1) I want my iphone 3g to be charged
2) I want to be able to make/receive calls
3) I want to play my music using the idrive system (with the album track details being displayed)

I’m not fussed about being able to play music & make/receive phone calls at the same time, as long as I can switch to either whilst connected.

There have been many threads concerning the charging issue with the iphone 3g, but there is a suggestion that a special dongle known as a “scosche passport car charging adapter” could solve this particular problem?

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TS696LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0MQ&mco=Mjg0NjU4Mw

Is there any difference between the iPod interface cable(the one that retrofits in the glove box) and the USB interface (also known as the 6FL option)?

Lastly, if the vehicle does not come with either option which one is the best to retrofit?

Hope this all makes sense?!

Apologies again for this thread but I hope someone will be able to simplify matters.

Kind regards
Hello I have a 335d with nav prof and a iphone 3g and the ipod connector in the glove box.

Ok to answer your questions from above
1, charging the phone..
On the iphone 3g Apple changed the connectors around so that it only can change via the usb pins 19,21 on the socket. because of this apple change (although they told BMW 2 years before they did the change) you cannot charge without buying one of those adaptors from apple. FYI all the adaptor does is route the pins to the firewire charge pins BMW uses.
2, Make and receive calls.. this works without issue via the bluetooth connectivity.
3, playing music via idrive.. you can select, play paused etc music from your iphone through idrive without issue.. (One thing to note though iphone 3.0 software has a bug in it. which means you have to have your first playlist from itunes with all your FULL song list.) this is a bit of a nightmare and im hoping that apple fix this before they realise 3.0

Hope this helps!
Iain Smith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts