BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2005 BMW 116i SE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m absolutely losing my mind trying to find insurance!
I’m 19, I’ve got a 55 116i and I have one claim from last year which ended up being classed as at fault costing my insurance company £4365 because my little brother and boyfriend were left unattended in my car and they know nothing about how a car works and were playing around with pedals and gears etc which resulted in my technically parked car (fiat punto at the time) rolling into the back of a brand new BMW X5!
anyway point is this meant I lost all my NCB and now I can’t find an insurance for anything less than £2209 and that’s with a black box!
Does anyone know of any cheaper insurance companies for people with claims etc?...
Please help

·
Registered
921 Posts
think you will have a hard job getting cheap ins at your age with no bonus just keep trying online
companys, didnt think you could move lever with out key in ing, so make boyfriend pay if he is still about.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 116i SE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
think you will have a hard job getting cheap ins at your age with no bonus just keep trying online
companys, didnt think you could move lever with out key in ing, so make boyfriend pay if he is still about.
yeah it’s a pain in the ass, that’s all I have been doing to be honest but only got 15 days left to find one. Neither did I! Personally think they were playing with the handbrake too but I suppose it doesn’t really matter now. Boyfriend is broke :) thanks for your help anyway

·
Registered
254 Posts
I’m absolutely losing my mind trying to find insurance!
I’m 19, I’ve got a 55 116i and I have one claim from last year which ended up being classed as at fault costing my insurance company £4365 because my little brother and boyfriend were left unattended in my car and they know nothing about how a car works and were playing around with pedals and gears etc which resulted in my technically parked car (fiat punto at the time) rolling into the back of a brand new BMW X5!
anyway point is this meant I lost all my NCB and now I can’t find an insurance for anything less than £2209 and that’s with a black box!
Does anyone know of any cheaper insurance companies for people with claims etc?...
Please help

Have you tried adding a named driver to to policy, ideally someone aged 40+ that doesn’t have any claims or convictions?
Other thing is to play about with your excess, I imagine it’ll be high anyway unfortunately.
I presume you’ve tried all of the comparison sites

·
Registered
2005 BMW 116i SE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya, yeah so I’ve got my dad and my stepdad on my insurance which does take it down by about £500 and I always set my excess as high as it will go :ROFLMAO: think I’ll just have to bite the bullet and pay the extortionate amount

·
Registered
2005 BMW 116i SE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there are ins companys about where they charge by mileage have you tryed them.
I haven’t actually looked at any of those ones yet so will have a check, thanks

·
Registered
921 Posts
they came up when i done my ins last month,i dont know how they work but have a look.
on the go compare sites.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Regarding insurance, add your parents, see a out admiral multi car, open a business in the motor trade and search for trade motor insurance.... (Last point not sure how viable or legal)

·
Registered
'04 330d Sport Auto, '99 523i SE Saloon
730 Posts
£2200 at your age with no NCB is not unreasonable to be honest. I was paying around £1400 at your age (that was in 2005) on my E36 which equates to about the same amout today.
You've already spotted that adding an older and more experienced driver to the policy reduces the cost. I always add my parents for the same reason even though they are extremely unlikely to ever drive my car.
Play around with the annual milages. I find if you set it at around 5/6000 miles it costs quite a bit less. Some insurers may offer a discount to cars fitted with dashcams. You can get them pretty cheap these days so it can often work out cheaper to invest in one.
I also find stating the car as being parked on the street makes it cheaper than having it garaged or on a private driveway....not sure how they work that one out, but hey ho!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Insurance quotes are cheapest three prior to renewal and only get more expensive as you get to renewal date. If you want to build up NCB you might have to take a hit and pay more, but if you are only interested in saving money you could get insured on an older adults policy as a multicar policy.

Either they add you to their policy & you are still main driver and they become second driver. This way you build up NCB, but their insurance company might be more favourable to them and you get a discount that way.

Or (and I don't recommend this) transfer the car to someone else at your address so log book is in their name. Put them as main driver you as additional driver even with zero NCB because main driver is using on different policy /different car, you still might get a cheaper quote. But this will reduce value of car as it has more drivers and you won't build up NCB. But short term, sounds crazy, it might work. It's not worth it.

I'm with admiral and juggle four cars on one multicar policy so just sharing my experience. Check the comparison websites under different scenarios.

Fact is you're 19, and high risk to have an accident, so no matter what you do, except being a named driver it will always be expensive. To make matters worse you have had an accident, so it's going to be like that for next three to five years!

Last thing is the car you drive, it's not just about power/performance it's about how many accidents happen in that car model. Consider a car your age group won't drive, 3 /5 series touring for example might be lower risk. Need to move away from typical 'boy racer' cars.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 116i SE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
£2200 at your age with no NCB is not unreasonable to be honest. I was paying around £1400 at your age (that was in 2005) on my E36 which equates to about the same amout today.
You've already spotted that adding an older and more experienced driver to the policy reduces the cost. I always add my parents for the same reason even though they are extremely unlikely to ever drive my car.
Play around with the annual milages. I find if you set it at around 5/6000 miles it costs quite a bit less. Some insurers may offer a discount to cars fitted with dashcams. You can get them pretty cheap these days so it can often work out cheaper to invest in one.
I also find stating the car as being parked on the street makes it cheaper than having it garaged or on a private driveway....not sure how they work that one out, but hey ho!
Yeah I’ve always added my parents since I’ve been driving as it really does reduce the cost by a considerable amount and they never actually drive it anyway. Yeah my mileage is set at 5,000 because I’m still working from home due to covid and probably will be for a while according to my boss. I did consider getting a dashcam actually so maybe I will put that down on the next insurance quote I try and see if it helps. Oh really? I didn’t know that so will have to give that a shot too! Thank you!

·
Registered
2005 BMW 116i SE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Insurance quotes are cheapest three prior to renewal and only get more expensive as you get to renewal date. If you want to build up NCB you might have to take a hit and pay more, but if you are only interested in saving money you could get insured on an older adults policy as a multicar policy.

Either they add you to their policy & you are still main driver and they become second driver. This way you build up NCB, but their insurance company might be more favourable to them and you get a discount that way.

Or (and I don't recommend this) transfer the car to someone else at your address so log book is in their name. Put them as main driver you as additional driver even with zero NCB because main driver is using on different policy /different car, you still might get a cheaper quote. But this will reduce value of car as it has more drivers and you won't build up NCB. But short term, sounds crazy, it might work. It's not worth it.

I'm with admiral and juggle four cars on one multicar policy so just sharing my experience. Check the comparison websites under different scenarios.

Fact is you're 19, and high risk to have an accident, so no matter what you do, except being a named driver it will always be expensive. To make matters worse you have had an accident, so it's going to be like that for next three to five years!

Last thing is the car you drive, it's not just about power/performance it's about how many accidents happen in that car model. Consider a car your age group won't drive, 3 /5 series touring for example might be lower risk. Need to move away from typical 'boy racer' cars.
Well I mean I’m 17 days away from my renewal already but actually the quote I got last night compared to last week was actually £100 cheaper so I think it just depends to be honest.
I did try a couple of multi car quotes but it upped my parents annual premium so they weren’t very impressed and that idea went out the window pretty quickly. Maybe I will try it again though with my new knowledge of where to say I park the car and having a dashcam.
Yeah having a claim is bad enough I don’t really want to start juggling things like putting it in a different name.
Yeah I’m aware it stays this way for a while which is disappointing because I’m not actually a bad driver but there’s not a lot I can do about it at this stage really.
Yeah I completely understand what you’re saying but the insurance for a 3/5 series for me was even more expensive and I actually only bought my car back in March 2021 so don’t really plan on getting rid of it already. But thank you for your help and I will probably try a multi car again.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 116i SE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Make the boyfriend pay as said.
Also tell him it is time he grew up should know better than to play in a car and with the handbrake.
Yeah he got that from me for a whole month afterwards and he’s now not allowed to be in my car alone and is definitely not allowed to touch anything apart from the aux lead so

·
Registered
2005 BMW 116i SE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Regarding insurance, add your parents, see a out admiral multi car, open a business in the motor trade and search for trade motor insurance.... (Last point not sure how viable or legal)
Opening a business sounds complicated and potentially illegal in the sense you’re referring too 😂 so think I’ll stay away from that one! But yeah I already add my parents and have tried a couple of multi car already but will keep trying anyway. Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 BMW 116i SE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Defo the answer.... You might have to sacrafice pecs and hair for bald and chub but plenty of Richie's would splash out for someone at your stage in life.

www.Golddigger.com I think

I'm married so I'm out and I also like the working kind.
A sugar daddy definitely isn’t the answer for me 😂 as great as the thought of free money is that’s just not who I am 😂 I like working and I like my job but thanks anyway gave me a good laugh at least!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts