BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all ............. just joined here so new :O)

I have a BMW 645CI -2004 and as usual the bottom of the steering wheel trim has the rubber covering peeling away in the corners very unsightly ..... I ordered a new replacement, I have googled about removing the Air bag and removing the trim ....... However my question is:

Everyone says to disconnect the Battery Neg first, wait 15 minutes then via hole at the bottom of the steering wheel insert a screw driver hard until the Airbag pops out ............ I can do that, but my worry is

1. after completing the new lower trim installation and pushing back the Airbag then reconnecting the Neg ....... will there be any error codes popping up? will the SRS light need to be reset? will there be any other error problems

2. I think you can pop the Airbag replace trim without actually removing the electrical cables to the Airbag is this "Recommended" or even doing that I still have to remove battery Neg?

Im just worried about having to go to the Dealer to have any error codes reset if undoing the Neg and then reconnecting ....... also car has been remapped would I loose the remap by disconnecting the Battery Neg-

Any help would be appreciated please, the trim will be here on Thursday and Im hoping to do this tomorrow

await your help

Thanks alot

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi, you need to disconnect the battery as you have been advised. Other wise you run the risk of accidentally setting the airbag off.
When you have finished and reconnected the battery you will not get a warning light, as the srs system carries out a self test when you start the car, so as long as you reconnect it properly and dont damage it by removing it then you wont have a problem

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thank you for the replay, I will take battery Neg- off, hence so NO SRS fault and I take no other code problems either??

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi mate you won't lose the remap for disconnecting the battery

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dance,

I did manage to speak to the garage who did the map ..... they said the same thing, as its stored in the cars computer/ ECU and wont be affected ......... but they were not able to say after reconnecting neg if the car will throw up any probs .......... they said If anything I may loose my radio setting and time on the idrive, but they weren't sure ........ so just being on the safe side, do you know if everything be ok after re-connecting the neg? just want a second opinion before going to work tomorrow

await your reply

regards

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi Mate no you shouldn't get any problems at all! The clock may or may not reset but its no big issue to reset it

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently had to remove the battery on my 645ci, it threw up every fault going and the car drove like shite. Luckily my unit where i break BMW m3's was just up the road to a mates garage so he reset everything for me. But litteraly every single warning light to do with airbag system, steering system, traction control system, brakes and abs system, was on the dashboard. The Steering was very heavy, the brake pedal was solid and a warning that the ABS system is not working, and the traction control and stability was turned off and couldnt be re engaged.

unsure if you take just the negative off if this will do the same, as i said i had to take the battery off for what i was up to so may not be the same. take both terminals off however.. be ready for the in car disco on the dash mate. more noises and lights than santas grotto

1 - 7 of 7 Posts