BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps,

Hopefully I'm asking in the right forum this time, but anyway I need a little 'off the record' advice regarding insuring my car.....

OK, I purchased my 328i Convertible in November 2008 (my 2nd vert, the one before it was the same car but with a automatic gearbox = boring to drive!)

Anyway, I transferred my existing policy with Churchill insurance from the old car to this one, but a lot has happened since, and now I am concerned that I may not be fully insured, so I am looking to transfer my car insurance to another company mid-policy.

Has anyone else done this?

Basically, I have found a cheaper quote from Kwik-Fit insurance that 'appears' to include the modifications I've done to my car i.e.

17" M6 replica wheels
LED FK automotive tail lights
LED FK automotive side repeater and crystal front indicator lights and
Genuine Hella Celis headlights (Angel Eyes)

This is all the mods I have done so far to my car, apart from the full electric hood, but when it comes to that sort of thing, how are they going to know that the car didn't come with that as standard!. The other bits I can go along with as being different to original manufacture hence more noticeable upgrades.

Any advice would be appreciated, because I have even bigger plans for my car (fitting later model upgrades such as climate control, computer and PDC) and I don't want to end up invalidating my policy once again.

Regards

Andy

·
Legendary BFuk Member +1
1,138 Posts
insurane companys hav a whole list off different models etc relating too each make off car...pretty sure they will knw if your car had an electric hood or not....shouldnt make much difference coz convertible is a convertible....dont take the chance m8...it could come bck too bite you in the arse...it ay b heartbreakn at the time too iv th insurance an extra 100quid or so..bu not as heartbreakn s bn old your not covered wen sumthn dus happn!:thumbsup

·
Registered
205 Posts
If any changes to standard spec are not declared then i think you'll find it's not valid. If they ever do the investigations to find out about the electric hood / manual hood change is unlikely but possible.

As you say wheels and lights are glaringly obvious so more of an issue but i've declared everything on our family car (Focus C-Max) that isn't standard spec (Leather, Parking Sensors etc).

Even a headunit change should be declared but how many do that?!!

·
BFUK Meets Organiser
1,167 Posts
hi, my e36 is insured with Adrian Flux. they cover all sorts of cars including show cars. my bros golf is heavily moddied including engine upgrades...

they always give a good price. My last quote was 590 told them got cheaper...:hihi, and they dropped it to 510. thats with non standard alloys, lowered, and exhaust mod.

hope it helps.:thumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.