Discussion Starter #1
Hi Beemer lovers,

I need help installing a band expander in a jap bmw business cassette HU,
if posssible with pics :thumbsup

its a 18 khz band expander ....

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
The ones I used to fit had two black aerial connections coming out of the box. One had a female end and the other had a male. They were then fitted in-line (your car aerial would plug into the female end and the male end of the band expander would fit into the back of the head unit). The single wire gets soldered and insulated to an ignition live:thumbsup

Some of them we fitted to the aerial receiver at the rear of the car.

Connections are wrong on the E36

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your car aerial would plug into the female end and the male end of the band expander would fit into the back of the head unit). The single wire gets soldered and insulated to an ignition live:thumbsup
My pic above is the expander I have ready to install ... Is it wrong?

Is the female end the silver bit and the male end the connection ?

where on the unit do i solder the white wire ... is it on the hu ?

Apologies for the stupid questions in advance :)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
That makes more sense now. Yes plug your aerial into the female end and then the male into your head unit. The white wire is soldered to an ignition live wire on the car wiring loom. Are you confident on finding this by yourself?

If not then I'm sure another E46 owner will be more than glad to assist with this. Perhaps they'll find which wire to go to and then take a picture:thumbsup

If nobody else posts on here then let me know via PM and I will send messages out to those who I think will be able to do this for you:cool

If you would like a step by step procedure to follow then I don't mind doing this for you (including photo's). I can show you exactly what tools to use and how to use them if need be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you would like a step by step procedure to follow then I don't mind doing this for you (including photo's). I can show you exactly what tools to use and how to use them if need be.
I don't want you to go to too much trouble !!! I don't have a soldering iron so I'd have to get a loan of one ... but all I need is a pic of what wire and where to find it :confused

I have a fair idea how to do the rest, ie remove the HU from the dash and locate and attach the expander to the aeriel and to the HU ...

Thanks
Wes

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I don't want you to go to too much trouble !!! I don't have a soldering iron so I'd have to get a loan of one ... but all I need is a pic of what wire and where to find it :confused

I have a fair idea how to do the rest, ie remove the HU from the dash and locate and attach the expander to the aeriel and to the HU ...

Thanks
Wes
I'll message 328mark one of our Moderators to see if he can assist you with locating the wire:thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pin 5 on the back of the head unit connection is ignition switched. You can use a blue inline snap connector HERE, so that you can tap off the wire instead of cutting it (different colour = different guage wiring). I have included the HU connector pin out, and also a picture of the connector wiring where you can clearly see 'IGNITION SWITCHED' written on the red wire connected to pin 5.

A20_RYM will give you further help on how to proceed from here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pin 5 on the back of the head unit connection is ignition switched. You can use a blue inline snap connector HERE, so that you can tap off the wire instead of cutting it (different colour = different guage wiring). I have included the HU connector pin out, and also a picture of the connector wiring where you can clearly see 'IGNITION SWITCHED' written on the red wire connected to pin 5.

A20_RYM will give you further help on how to proceed from here.
Top Man Neal :thumbsup

Thanks

Wes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts