BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am looking to become a BMW owner after 20 years of owning the same non BMW.

I am looking at a 6 cylinder 3 series coupe of the latest shape. I have been reading around the forum to better understand what I am buying.

For a worry free life and long term ownership which model should I choose. I started by looking at a 330d & have found a nice example but after reading here I am not so sure that the petrol option isn't a better choice.

In the real world of ownership do the 325 engines (petrol or diesel) feel signifiantly different to the 330 (equivalent petrol or diesel) and are there reliability differences?

Turbos, swirl flapes etc make very frightening reading to newcomers.

Help & advise choosing the engine in a 6 cylinder 3 series coupe please.

Chris

·
Registered
701 Posts
i would choose a 325i, good balance of economy and power, i dont think there is much difference between a 330 and a 325 in the real world.
they will all be reliable, just make sure you buy a good one, with a good service history.
diesel power has come a long way now and they are not as slow as people think, i just prefer the crisp sound of a 6 pot petrol bmw engine.
if your not that botherd between petrol or diesel, get a diesel, better mpg.car looks the same has the same equipment, same comfort, just saves you money.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would get a 330 over a 325, they should be roughly the same in terms of fuel consumption but you will get the extra oomph out of the 330. If you want fuel economy then get a diesel if not petrol.

Personally I avoid turbos, reasons, well we all know it will cost you a fortune in repairs/replacement costs if things start to go wrong so might as well avoid it in the first place.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
all the 6 cylinder BMW's offer the same service costs and pretty much the same MPG. the insurance is a little higher for the 330 but isnt going to be a big deal for you if you've been driving 20+ years. The engines are pretty much bullet proof if you keep on top of the servicing.
the diesels are great but have alot to go wrong and unless you're doing 20k+ a year they dont really make a sensible choice imo. plus the petrols sound awesome.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have had the 330d and the 330i, there is no difference in performance between the two but the 330d is better on fuel, i would go for the 330d over the 330i and the 325i, i had 4 yrs trouble free motoring from the 330d, hope this is of some help :thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I'd go for a 330i petrol on a e46, not sure on the later ones, probably the same as IMO diesels are getting more problematic :(

Petrol has less to go wrong and is cheaper when it does.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I have owned a 325i and 330i e46. Both did c27/28 mpg.

325i smoother, lacked a bit of torque
330i a more relaxing drive

Both top motors.

Both did over 120k miles in 3 years, very reliable, one sensor, a coil pack and that was about it.... and lots of oil.
The usual consumables of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.