BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi any help would be appreciated, I’ve had a constant rattling for about a week near the car upon revving it also looks like the wire mesh is disintegrating I think this is where the noise is coming from, if I need a new car what is the cheaper alternative ? Also I have had dpf problems in the past having it constantly cleaned etc it is due a clean, is there an all in one dpf and cat solution ? Any help would be most appreciated

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Could also be some of the heat shielding on the underside of the car coming loose causing the rattling so check that first.

WRT to the DPF needing constant cleaning what is your general driving pattern? If the thing never gets a good run out it will never regen properly (aside from any other possible issues like stats) which will cause the filter to choke up. You might also want to check for correct EGR operation. If the valve gets stuck open you end up blowing sooty fumes through the DPF at low speeds which is not how the system is designed to operate.

If all you are doing is constant short trips or urban drive cycles then the tractor is perhaps not the best choice of engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could also be some of the heat shielding on the underside of the car coming loose causing the rattling so check that first.

WRT to the DPF needing constant cleaning what is your general driving pattern? If the thing never gets a good run out it will never regen properly (aside from any other possible issues like stats) which will cause the filter to choke up. You might also want to check for correct EGR operation. If the valve gets stuck open you end up blowing sooty fumes through the DPF at low speeds which is not how the system is designed to operate.

If all you are doing is constant short trips or urban drive cycles then the tractor is perhaps not the best choice of engine.
Many thanks

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
cleaning aint a fix,,you need to know why its blocking,,and as has been said,,99% of the time its thermostats,,check your coolant temp while driving,,should reach over 88 degrees,,,do this via hidden menu,,again plenty guides..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Cheers Rasa which two thermostats the EGR and the main one? Think I’ll just change these to eliminate one thing, if the coolant is not getting hot enough what is the problem thermostat?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all had the car fault coded yesterday the following codes as attached pic 4010, 40A4, 480A, 481A and 4D00. I had the dpf cleaned around 15,000 miles ago, at the moment the car runs rough and poor mpg. What is the best course of action clean it again? After market dpf which I hear are even more of a headache ? Also the fault 40A4 egr what is the best course of action to solve this?

·
Registered
578 Posts
You need to go back to basics and establish a few things as to why the dpf is not regenerating correctly. The first thing to check is that the car is reaching the correct operating temp as identified earlier in this thread. If it isn’t then change the stats as it will not regen if the temps are low. The next thing is to ensure you have no glow plug fault codes showing as again it will stop a regen although some think it doesn’t. The next thing is to ensure you drive the car in a manner which will trigger the regen. It should be driven at a constant spred of approx 60 mph and while you are doing this someone will need to keep clearing the fault codes as it will not regen with any dpf fault codes being recorded (480A, 481A) cleaning the dpf as you have only clears the blockage caused by the regen snot taking place.
cheers
jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You need to go back to basics and establish a few things as to why the dpf is not regenerating correctly. The first thing to check is that the car is reaching the correct operating temp as identified earlier in this thread. If it isn’t then change the stats as it will not regen if the temps are low. The next thing is to ensure you have no glow plug fault codes showing as again it will stop a regen although some think it doesn’t. The next thing is to ensure you drive the car in a manner which will trigger the regen. It should be driven at a constant spred of approx 60 mph and while you are doing this someone will need to keep clearing the fault codes as it will not regen with any dpf fault codes being recorded (480A, 481A) cleaning the dpf as you have only clears the blockage caused by the regen snot taking place.
cheers
jim
Thanks, I have monitored the temp and it reaches at least 88degrees, there was no flow plug faults on the log. What is a cheap code reader that can clear the faults? Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts