BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 116D Sport (2016)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

I've just had my car into BMW for a safety recall on the EGR valve or something. Anyway, whilst my car was in, as they always do, BMW carried out a free health check on my vehicle which highlighted some things I was already aware of such as discs needing changing soon and my front tyres being close to needing changing.

However, when he got to the rear of the vehicle after stating there was no leaks in my engine or gear box this all changed when he got to my rear differential where he stated there is "quite a large oil leak from your differential" and proceeded to show me the differential in the video (I have also attached photos of said leak).

Now I'm honestly no expert in cars, I'm not ashamed to admit I had to Google what the differential actually does! I am however stressing and worrying at how much this is going to cost me as the car is no longer under warranty. I've heard this is a common issue with BMW's? Has anyone had this happen to them before and if so how much did it cost? I'm hoping it's just the seals/gaskets which need replacing (more Googling there)?

I've had no warning messages come up on the car or noticed any performance issues or heard any suspect noises coming from the rear of the vehicle at all, so this honestly came as quite a surprise to me. But again, I'm honestly a massive amateur when it comes to cars.

Anyway, any information/help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Attachments

·
Registered
BMW 116D Sport (2016)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on the issue. Luckily it was a seal which needed replacing, I believe it was the 'final drive pinion seal' that they replaced. Not as expensive of a job as I was expecting it to be and luckily no damage! Think it was caught just in time.

·
Registered
BMW 116D Sport (2016)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad its sorted & wasn’t as expensive as you were thinking 👍🏻
Cheers mate. Absolutely! I'd been stressing about it all week that it was potentially going to cost me ALOT of money, money I don't just have lying around haha!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts