BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My name is Tim and I drive a crap car!

I've currently got a 2001 Astra 2.0 diesel which is probably one of the worst cars I've ever driven. I'm coming up to my 20th birthday now so I'm looking for something rather better.

I had a lend of my father-in-law's late 2008 320d M-sport for a month and MY GOODNESS - It's georgeous to drive! The only niggle is that the suspension was very firm. Obviously, I'm not loaded like he is, only having around £12k to spend.

I'm looking at E46 3-series and really just have a few questions. I would be looking at 2.0 diesel variants.

1) What does the "ES" specification have that the "SE" doesn't?
2) I want the 6-speed gearbox and the 150bhp engine...I'd have to go for a 2003+ vehicle, right?
3) What should I be looking out for on these cars?
4) Do the E46 models have the stupid run-flat tyres?
5) Does anyone have any idea about average servicing costs?

Sorry if this isn't in the right section...it just seemed to tie in with my intro bit.

cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tim. With £12k in the sky rocket mate, I should imagine you will pick up a lovely 320d.

I will have a look in to your questions. AFAIK, the SE has a higher spec than the ES, including cruise control, digital climate.... I will double check though

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
hougtimo, Welcome to the forum:D

Nothing wrong with the post being in this section. If you had previous posts then questions would need to be posted in the "General BMW Discussions" section:thumbsup

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f74/

Hopefully the E46 Guru's will be able to assist you in purchasing your new pride and joy:cool

I should imagine the niggle you have with regards to the suspension is because your father in laws will have the firmer/stiffer set up:hihi Good thing about the M-Tech suspension is that improves the handling:cool

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the replies :)

I am rather confused about what spec level is the highest... if someone could clear that up it'd be great. Ideally I'd like bluetooth connectivity but satnav isn't a nessesity.

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
199 Posts
I believe the SE is of higher spec than that of the ES. Hopefully someone will confirm this

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the SE is of higher spec than that of the ES. Hopefully someone will confirm this
Yes, parkers.co.uk would concur.

Does anyone know whether the E46 cars had the runflat tyres? As i guess tread would be something to check when buying as I gather they're not cheap to replace?

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Yes, parkers.co.uk would concur.

Does anyone know whether the E46 cars had the runflat tyres? As i guess tread would be something to check when buying as I gather they're not cheap to replace?
Ideally you dont want runflats as they are sh*te in my opinion!!
and yes, they are expensive to replace but I wouldnt bother replacing them TBO....

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Hello!

My name is Tim and I drive a crap car!

I've currently got a 2001 Astra 2.0 diesel which is probably one of the worst cars I've ever driven. I'm coming up to my 20th birthday now so I'm looking for something rather better.

I had a lend of my father-in-law's late 2008 320d M-sport for a month and MY GOODNESS - It's georgeous to drive! The only niggle is that the suspension was very firm. Obviously, I'm not loaded like he is, only having around £12k to spend.

I'm looking at E46 3-series and really just have a few questions. I would be looking at 2.0 diesel variants.

1) What does the "ES" specification have that the "SE" doesn't?
2) I want the 6-speed gearbox and the 150bhp engine...I'd have to go for a 2003+ vehicle, right?
3) What should I be looking out for on these cars?
4) Do the E46 models have the stupid run-flat tyres?
5) Does anyone have any idea about average servicing costs?

Sorry if this isn't in the right section...it just seemed to tie in with my intro bit.

cheers,

Tim
Welcome to the forum Tim, :thumbsup

one of the reasons you probably found the suspension very firm in the 08 320d would have been due to the unforgiving Run flats :frown common complaint

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice to see you here, 12k isn't loaded? Hmmmmmm....I wish I also 'wasn't loaded'

Hope you find what your looking for!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice to see you here, 12k isn't loaded? Hmmmmmm....I wish I also 'wasn't loaded'

Hope you find what your looking for!
Haha, I have been saving specifically for a BMW for long enough lol.

Thanks for all the answers guys! Seems like a top forum!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Hi & welcome.

To be honest, you may be better off in the long run with a 330d rather than 320d! look into a 330d as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey mate. Wow i cant beleive your only 19 and you have 12k to spend on a motor! lol
Have you got a spare 6K for your insurance? haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts