BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Doug here. I've had my 523i E39 for about 10 months now, and I've become very familiar with forums after experiencing just about every one of their known foibles. It's a 1996 with rumbling rear wheel bearings, an engine with a slate-grey deposit in the coolant, overheating, starting problems when warm, etc. So I now have a selection of pullers, and other tools all ready to sort it out. I made the mistake of assuming a low mileage car with full main dealer history would be a safe bet, it's a steep learning curve:mad.

It failed the mot on the rear wheel ball joint, and the garage didn't want to know, so I bought the puller and did it myself. I now have a 328i engine on a pallet waiting to be fitted, and an M50 manifold in the shed, so as you may have guessed, none of the above has put me off the car. My plan is to fettle the spare engine and sort out the manifold conversion, so that when I fit it I'll gain such a big improvement I'll think the effort was more than worthwhile.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hello thre and i dont normly post much but after reading all above i just had wite goodluck getting car fixed and hope u get to enjoy ya bmw as sounds like u not had much enjoyment out of it yet...things can only get bter huh

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've just put some 18" type 42s on, so I must be enjoying it a bit, and I'd some Eibachs straining to get out of their box. I take the view that if I'd bought newer I'd have taken a depreciation hit, so a bit of expense has to be expected either way.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Hi Doug R1 and welcome to the forum, if you need any advise then be sure to post in the e39 section :thumbsup

good luck with your rebuild and good to have you on board :cool

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Hi, Doug here. I've had my 523i E39 for about 10 months now, and I've become very familiar with forums after experiencing just about every one of their known foibles. It's a 1996 with rumbling rear wheel bearings, an engine with a slate-grey deposit in the coolant, overheating, starting problems when warm, etc. So I now have a selection of pullers, and other tools all ready to sort it out. I made the mistake of assuming a low mileage car with full main dealer history would be a safe bet, it's a steep learning curve:mad.

It failed the mot on the rear wheel ball joint, and the garage didn't want to know, so I bought the puller and did it myself. I now have a 328i engine on a pallet waiting to be fitted, and an M50 manifold in the shed, so as you may have guessed, none of the above has put me off the car. My plan is to fettle the spare engine and sort out the manifold conversion, so that when I fit it I'll gain such a big improvement I'll think the effort was more than worthwhile.
Doug, Welcome to the forum:D

Keep us posted on your progress, engine conversions are great fun:rofl

Just be sure to find out if there are any other bits and pieces you need before starting:thumbsup

Out of interest, did you get the ECU, EWS Module and chip from the ignition key for the engine you have on a pallet. You will need these to get the engine to start once fitted;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the rims cost £400 with brand new Kumho Excsta on the front, and rather skinny looking but new 245 Falkens on the back.

The engine came with: wiring loom, ecu, chip key and transponder, auto sport ecu, air flow meter, all water pipes, and torque converter.

I'm a bit confused though, I see the M52 as a standard block, with slight differences depending on engine size and the model it fits. Logic would suggest that the ecu has no idea what M52 is fitted, it just runs the map it's loaded with, so fitting a 2.8 lump and getting the 523i ecu remapped should cover it, unless I've missed something.

Which is why forums, fora?, are such a good resource.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.