BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new here trying to find a solution to a problem so I not long bought a 1 series 118d 2013
In the morning when I got to start it I get the yellow steering wheel light with the arrows move to start well no matter how I move the wheel it won't start
So I go to work come home try car lock comes off and it starts straight up. This happened about 5 times.
Plugged in no codes reset evl counter anyway. decided as it was sporadic it may need an update so updated software drove home stopped it started straight up drive about a bit next morning no start same issue..
Battery was little bit low on the live data so swapped it today still no start left it a couple hours fired straight up.
Now it's not like the lock is broke just the error move the wheel comes up then I remove key try again and no error but car is immobilesed I'm about to send the car back to the dealer I bought it from but it's a shame as I like the car and would prefer to fix it any ideas what it could be.

Sorry for such a first post but I'm running out of ideas....
Thanks in advance Joe

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
What are you using to pull the codes.
BMW software or scanner might just show the fault codes.
Never seen the ""yellow steering wheel light with the arrows move to start"" before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you using to pull the codes.
BMW software or scanner might just show the fault codes.
Never seen the ""yellow steering wheel light with the arrows move to start"" before.
Just using Carly obd scanner myself but had it at an indy and no codes stored below is fault as it happens but it don't store this as it just means move the wheel a bit to start once you remove key and try again or press the start button it shuts down completely
I've just ordered some BMW software so I can dig deeper myself
Speedometer Odometer Car Tachometer Plant

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sounds like you have an issue with the steering lock not being able to sense it’s position properly. Maybe it’s worth dropping steering cowls off and seeing if mechanism can be cleaned up,if it’s got old grease that’s attracted dirt it could be sticking? Alfa Romeo 159’s used to suffer similar issues 99% of the time solved by cleaning and lubricating

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you have an issue with the steering lock not being able to sense it’s position properly. Maybe it’s worth dropping steering cowls off and seeing if mechanism can be cleaned up,if it’s got old grease that’s attracted dirt it could be sticking? Alfa Romeo 159’s used to suffer similar issues 99% of the time solved by cleaning and lubricating
I did think this however if the wheel is turned so the lock cannot engage in its slot then car is switched off when I try to turn it on the lock would be in the off position and I still have same error I can then turn the wheel a fair bit each way untill the lock does engage also why would it only stick in the morning I will go home tonight from work and it'll start instantly.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I did think this however if the wheel is turned so the lock cannot engage in its slot then car is switched off when I try to turn it on the lock would be in the off position and I still have same error I can then turn the wheel a fair bit each way untill the lock does engage also why would it only stick in the morning I will go home tonight from work and it'll start instantly.
Damp or condensation acting across a poor electrical connection or break in a wire somewhere, maybe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can't rule this out but a needle in a haystack comes to mind...
Such an untraceable intermittent glitch is a nightmare. Random start lockout caused me to sell a beautiful red low mileage German coupe in 2020. Never heard back. One suggestion was the computer detecting high battery internal resistance, but the battery was powerful. Too much clever electronics today is my view. Jim, 60 years motoring, owned over 30 cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update yesterday I stripped the plastics under the dash in the driver's footwell to gain some access to the evl I grabbed the wiring going to it and the evl opened and closed with no key in the dash inserted key and it unlocked. this morning I went out to check key in dash error came up again reached under dash moved wires and again evl reset it's self I think it's a wire bad negative so close all I need to do now is find exactly where I'm going to start at the connector I only touched the short bit of loom to the lock 4 wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
finally found it the pins in the evl plug were a bit loose removed them and crimped a little, so far so good no more issue strange turn of events and hours of fault finding but i got there eventually.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Joe,
I have the same issue as what you encountered and I own a 2008 1 series with just under 40k on the clock.
Could you please provide some more details on how you managed to fix the fault ? which screws to take off, how to perform the clean up etc.
Since your elv plug clean-uophas the issue returned?
Any help would be greatly appreciateed as I have had no luck with the local garages and am scheduled to go in to bmw showroom in few days - suspect they will straight away ask for the steering column to be replaced.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Joe,
I have the same issue as what you encountered and I own a 2008 1 series with just under 40k on the clock.
Could you please provide some more details on how you managed to fix the fault ? which screws to take off, how to perform the clean up etc.
Since your elv plug clean-uophas the issue returned?
Any help would be greatly appreciateed as I have had no luck with the local garages and am scheduled to go in to bmw showroom in few days - suspect they will straight away ask for the steering column to be replaced.

Thanks
Remove the screws holding the panel above the pedals think there is 3 and one clip into the centre console
If you look up you will see the steering lock there is a small bit of loom going to it and a plug
If the light comes on the dash remove key and try moving that loom going to the evl if the lock disengages then it's likely the same issue I just unplugged it and removed the terminals made them tighter and plugged back in it's been ok since.
It's a bit fiddly as wires not that long and you are having to lay in the footwell but it's possible be careful you don't break anything or it will be a nightmare.
It's not the actual lock that's the issue in my case just the wiring.
good luck hope this helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts