BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pretty basic ICE setup. Not mentioning speakers, there is an Alpine headunit, Infinity Amp and an Infinity Basslink (active sub).

Between these 3 items there are far too many variables to tinker with and I have no idea if I will ever get the best sound out of the equipment I've got due to the vast number of possible combinations -

Alpine CDE-9880R Headunit sound settings -
subwoofer level (0 to 15), subwoofer effect (2 settings)
bass frequency (60hz to 200hz), bass bandwidth (1 to 4), bass level (-7 to +7)
treble frequency (10khz to 17.5khz), treble level (-7 to +7)
high pass filter level (OFF to 160hz)

Infinity Amp sound settings -
input level for separate front and rear channels
bass boost for separate front and rear channels (0db to 6db)
frequency for separate front and rear cannels (32hz to 320hz)

Basslink sound settings -
gain
crossover (50hz to 120hz)
bass boost (-6db to 3db)
phase (2 settings)

How to fook are you meant to know when you have got anywhere near the optimum setup :hissyfit :eek :banghead

·
Registered
459 Posts
ahah dude i know the feel tooooo well. just iced my wheels with a really expensive setup. so confused by all this crazyness so had the audio car dudes do it for me. im sure theres still some way to go. gonna try find a laptop program and plug that straight into the usb socket. if the graph is smooth then the sound will rock in theory

·
BFUK Meets Organiser
1,167 Posts
Tell me about....My old headunit was a pioneer...didnt understand it fook!

Changed to a bceker head unit....very simple set up with bass, treble , sub output.:thumbsup...cxrystal clear.

So much better than adjusting the old headunit to virtually every song.!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
best thing to do is have a fiddle with it on a song with a lot of different sounds and bass lines in it. the sound you like is what is deemed as optimum because everyones idea of perfection and optimum will be different

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had the setup in the car for a few weeks but find myself continually fiddling with the settings thinking that I can find a better sound. Don't get me wrong, the system sounds good - I just find myself always thinking that I can get it sounding better due to the vast array of settings that I can change!

I'm going to experiment taking the headunit out of the equation - set the bass, treble, filter settings all to '0' and then just try making adjustments on the amp and basslink.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
I've got a pretty basic ICE setup. Not mentioning speakers, there is an Alpine headunit, Infinity Amp and an Infinity Basslink (active sub).

Between these 3 items there are far too many variables to tinker with and I have no idea if I will ever get the best sound out of the equipment I've got due to the vast number of possible combinations -

Alpine CDE-9880R Headunit sound settings -
subwoofer level (0 to 15), subwoofer effect (2 settings)
bass frequency (60hz to 200hz), bass bandwidth (1 to 4), bass level (-7 to +7)
treble frequency (10khz to 17.5khz), treble level (-7 to +7)
high pass filter level (OFF to 160hz)

Infinity Amp sound settings -
input level for separate front and rear channels
bass boost for separate front and rear channels (0db to 6db)
frequency for separate front and rear cannels (32hz to 320hz)

Basslink sound settings -
gain
crossover (50hz to 120hz)
bass boost (-6db to 3db)
phase (2 settings)

How to fook are you meant to know when you have got anywhere near the optimum setup :hissyfit :eek :banghead
As a rule, turn the input level all the way down on your amp, turn the headunit up to 3/4 volume, turn your amp input level up til it just distorts, then ease it off a touch, that should set your level,then just play around with the other stuff til youre happy with it:thumbsup

The bass frequencys are the level of sound the sub kicks out, the lower the hz the deeper the bass

·
Registered
175 Posts
You haven't said how you've wired it all up...

Is the Basslink being driven from the subwoofer output on the head unit or is it from the same output as the Infinity amp?

Let's assume you have connected it to the sub out...
In that case, the crossover on the Basslink sub should be turned off or set to the 120Hz setting.
Turn the gain right down for now..

On the Infinity amp, turn off the bass boost (let the sub handle the bass)...
If the frequency is for the bass boost only, then it won't matter what the setting is if the gain is 0db
If it is for a hi-pass/low-pass filter (effectively another crossover), then set the frequency to 80Hz

Now on the head unit:
Set the crossover (frequency) high-pass to 120Hz or less...probably start at around 100Hz for now...
Set the Bass and treble on the head unit to 0 (the other settings aren't important at this point).

Now turn off the amp..pull the fuses or +ve input cable
Power up the system and play a CD you know well...

Turn the subwoofer level on the headunit up full...now increase the gain on the Basslink until it *just* starts distorting and back it off very slightly...
This is the max level the subwoofer can handle...

Now turn the amp back on...
Now with all the speakers playing, turn the gain on the subwoofer on the head unit down until it sounds as you want it...
Now you can play with the bass and treble on the Alpine unit...
There are 3 settings for the bass...gain up or down, bandwidth with 1 being narrow and 4 being wide...In other words if it is on narrow and on (say) 100Hz, it will only affect 100Hz...if it is on wide it may affect 50-150Hz with the peak of the effect at the frequency you set...
There are only two settings for the treble...no bandwidth...

HTH

·
Registered
151 Posts
There is less settings on your headunit than mine!!!! not sure why but I can also set mine up to have the radio and a cd on at the same time through different speakers!!!!!

As most people have said, the only real way is to simply fiddle with the settings and use your ears, everyone likes their music set up differently so you can followguidlines but ultimatley it is down to what sounds better to you.

·
Registered
877 Posts
count yourself lucky...today i had a rare day off and fitted my old Hiphonics amp without adjusting the output on the HU and proceeded to blow a big hole in my 12" sub!

nooby mistake but its easily done, well is after a few stellas :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts