BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommned me a head gasket & sniff testing kits to buy? (links to reputable UK sellers please, or very good sellers from the USA).

I haven't ever used one, what is the procedure and how long does it take from start to finish?

(whilst I have never bought a duff car, should I be tempted to go down the temporary late pristine 99' E36 M3/Supra TT route I would like to perform all the checks before handing over ££££. the number of sought after cars on the market with steam cleaned engines bay's puts me :shifty: I have no issues with genuinely cleaned engine bays for looks, but I'm not going to get burnt by disguised oil/fluid leaks).

Also if there are any other engine fluid etc tester kits that don't cost much money, please mention them as I'll get the whole lot in one go.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've moved this thread to General BMW Discussions for you:rofl
ya sod, I was just looking at thread in the discussions, saw this and thought :confused:eek:confused WTF!

behave your self! :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Can anyone recommned me a head gasket & sniff testing kits to buy? (links to reputable UK sellers please, or very good sellers from the USA).

I haven't ever used one, what is the procedure and how long does it take from start to finish?

(whilst I have never bought a duff car, should I be tempted to go down the temporary late pristine 99' E36 M3/Supra TT route I would like to perform all the checks before handing over ££££. the number of sought after cars on the market with steam cleaned engines bay's puts me :shifty: I have no issues with genuinely cleaned engine bays for looks, but I'm not going to get burnt by disguised oil/fluid leaks).

Also if there are any other engine fluid etc tester kits that don't cost much money, please mention them as I'll get the whole lot in one go.

Hi mate,

we use a Snap-On one costs sround 50 squids but only from the Snap-on man........ECP do a Sealey kit around 40 squids...........there are cheaper version on E-bay for around 30.........and too be honest they all do the same job.

takes about 5mins to do the test- all the kits I mentioned above are almost identical and are preformed in the same manner.

basically- it is like a big glass syringe type instrument that has 2 chambers which you fill accordingly with the test liquid (usually Blue).........run the engine up, carefully remove the expansion bottle cap/rad cap (be careful its not too hot) place the syringe over the expansion filler and draw in the air within the expansion bottle/ rad.............need to pump it a few times..........if there are combustion fumes present in the coolant sytem the the test liquid will start to turn from Blue through to yellow- if it does then thats not good...............head gasket failure, etc.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for that. I'll probably just got the ECP route and get the sealey kit as our Snap-on man only comes to us once a week at no real specific time lol.

I'm sure the seller of any genuine car worth its money won't mind me doing this as I won't be dismantling the car lol.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Many thanks for that. I'll probably just got the ECP route and get the sealey kit as our Snap-on man only comes to us once a week at no real specific time lol.

I'm sure the seller of any genuine car worth its money won't mind me doing this as I won't be dismantling the car lol.
If they do then you know to walk immediately:shifty:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Too be honest mate.............I've always done this test on the last few cars I've bought........You're right, its well worth doing.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they do then you know to walk immediately:shifty:
I personally wouldn't allow some stranger to turn up and start dismantling my car with a socket set, but any genuine buyers wishing to perform such tests whereby its simple enough so that they can't possibly damage or ruin anything, I would have no problem with.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I personally wouldn't allow some stranger to turn up and start dismantling my car with a socket set, but any genuine buyers wishing to perform such tests whereby its simple enough so that they can't possibly damage or ruin anything, I would have no problem with.
That's true.............when ever I go to see a car, I always ask permision from the seller if I could do the test.........if they say no, then I just walk away- theres plenty of fish in the sea........but no one as objected yet, and too be honest most are curious to see it done.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok mate...............will try and get one recorded:thumbsup
I tried a search on youtube but couldn't find one. I would be grateful for you to make a video showing how to do it. :thumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts