BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After digging around to try and find the right cable for my set up i stumbled across this!, hope it maybe of use to some one when buying a new lead

HDMI Cables Explained
Been wondering what HDMI is best for you with all the different versions that keep appearing then worry not, this guide is here to help you make an informed decision!?!
With the continued release of different versions and specifications of HDMI cable the release of the HDMI 1.4 specification means that there are now a total of five HDMI cable types to choose between. With every incarnation of cable design produced to meet a particular performance standard. Luckily for you the HDMI consortium decided to drop the version numbers from their HDMI specification and instead you just get different types of cables that are now suited to the customers specific needs. These different types of cables can be seen in the table below. Here is an overview of the HDMI cable types, their performance capabilities, and how to tell them apart.

Standard HDMI Cable
The "Standard HDMI" cable is designed to handle most home applications, and is tested to reliably be able transmit 1080i ( 1080 interlaced lines) or 720p (720 progressive lines) video – the High Definition resolutions that are commonly associated with cable and satellite television, digital broadcast High Definition and upscaling DVD players.

Standard HDMI Cable with EthernetThis cable type offers roughly the same performance as the Standard HDMI Cable shown above (720p or 1080i video resolution), but also has a dedicated data channel, known as the HDMI Ethernet Channel. This is used for device networking and will be useful for when TV's have built in internet streaming services, such as iPlay and Youtube. HDMI Ethernet Channel functionality is only available if both linked devices are HDMI Ethernet Channel-enabled.

High Speed HDMI Cable
The "High Speed HDMI" cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p (Full High Definition) and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Colour. If you are using any of these technologies, or if you are connecting your 1080p display to a 1080p content source, such as a Blu-ray Disc player, this is the recommended cable.

High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet
This cable type offers the same baseline performance as the High Speed HDMI Cable shown above (1080p video resolution and beyond), plus an additional, dedicated data channel, known as the HDMI Ethernet Channel used for device networking. HDMI Ethernet Channel functionality is only available if both linked devices are HDMI Ethernet Channel-enabled.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i also have just bought a 3metre flat hdmi cable which untill now i thought was poorer quality!, but infact it is supposed to be better as it is induvidualy sheilded and flexable for tight areas, also i think i got a bargain:thumbsup
http://www.cablesuk.co.uk/3M-HDMI-Cable_ULTIMATE-p24.html

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
236 Posts
are you showing off:confused:confused :D
No :jaw-dropping. 2 of them are sat collecting dust actually. I bought 2 and "acquired" the other 2 from elsewhere. They are very good leads though and well worth the money if you have good eyesight and good hearing to notice the clarity difference from £2 Ebay specials. :thumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
No :jaw-dropping. 2 of them are sat collecting dust actually. I bought 2 and "acquired" the other 2 from elsewhere. They are very good leads though and well worth the money if you have good eyesight and good hearing to notice the clarity difference from £2 Ebay specials. :thumbsup
And have a binary brain to decipher that a digital signal doesn't lose anything when transferred from one place to another..........Clarity and sound would actually depend on how good the TV is and how good the speakers are

·
Registered
236 Posts
And have a binary brain to decipher that a digital signal doesn't lose anything when transferred from one place to another..........Clarity and sound would actually depend on how good the TV is and how good the speakers are
Oh dear....

·
Registered
236 Posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10056547

proof that you wasted your money :lol

WHAT A COMPLETE AND UTTER LOAD OF BOLLOX. If you believe that you'll believe anything. Seriously, since when did the BBC :)sarcastic ) become experts in AV?

How about you take a look at any proper AV website, magazine and see what they say about HDMI cables. I'll bet you £1000000 every single one disagrees with that BBC BS. And if you ever needed further proof, connect your 50p Ebay special and then connect up your quality £50 cable and tell me honestly you can't notice if difference. If you can't then there's something seriously wrong with you as the difference is like night and day.

In fact I'm not even entering into this debate. If you're happy with your 50p ebay special then carry on. Makes no odds to me. The End.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One professional HDMI sceptic is technology reviewer James Holland.

"Blu Ray players and the TVs they hook up to are completely digital, so you are talking about ones and zeros," said James.

"The cable itself isn't contributing to the quality of that picture at all. It is just moving it from one place to the other. It's the electronics at both ends that do the hard work."
Sorry but since when are you the expert I've produced proof but all you have done is spew your self righteousness as usual

·
Registered
178 Posts
I remember when I worked for Panasonic TV's in the R&D lab, before the days of HDMI when SCART was what it was all about, and the early days of optical audio...

Gold plating made no difference to test results measured either with picture or audio, and unless the SCART was some flimsy cheapo rubbish with bad shielding or connections, that didn't seem to make any odds either!! Gold plated optical leads just made us laugh, as the gold made no difference to the light being passed!!

There is a lot of BS and hype out there with all types of cables. The 50p ebay specials may suffer from poor connectors and / or poor shielding which will affect matters, but even in the R&D lab demoing the then-latest top-end kit, we could find no reason to use the really expensive stuff, whether for analogue or digital signals.

Reactions: xXxStKxXx

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remember when I worked for Panasonic TV's in the R&D lab, before the days of HDMI when SCART was what it was all about, and the early days of optical audio...

Gold plating made no difference to test results measured either with picture or audio, and unless the SCART was some flimsy cheapo rubbish with bad shielding or connections, that didn't seem to make any odds either!! Gold plated optical leads just made us laugh, as the gold made no difference to the light being passed!!

There is a lot of BS and hype out there with all types of cables. The 50p ebay specials may suffer from poor connectors and / or poor shielding which will affect matters, but even in the R&D lab demoing the then-latest top-end kit, we could find no reason to use the really expensive stuff, whether for analogue or digital signals.
i've read alot of threads like that form all types of cable companys, the only time you need the good stuff is when the cables are over a certain lenth.
and if the cheaper version you buy isn't shilded enough!

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have to agree that you only need a "better" hdmi cable for lengths longer than 1mtr or if near other sources of interference such as wifi and other coded frequecy items.

i run my xbox 360 on a £19.99 hdmi cable but i did have a expensive one which came with my second hand blue ray player i bought which when i checked on the net to see if it was worth as much as the seller claimed.
it was retailed at £89. and to be honest i noticed no difference what so ever but to be fair and until i test it on a higher quality output source im not going into a debate. however my speaker cables i use cost in the region of £25 per meter because the quality of audio cables do make a difference.

the biggest rip off tho....optical leads...now there is a debate lol.
im happy with my £2.99 optical leads thanks. :thumbsup

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've paid many hundreds previously for analogue interconnects (Russ Andrews, Chord, Nordost) and fully stand behind the quality difference.

But digital cables? I'll be damned if I can tell the difference!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Rob330Cd seems to have went quiet on the matter... maybe he really did mean it was the end! :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Interesting discussion here:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=914374

I particularly like the quote from Russ Andrews after a complaint was upheld by the ASA:

They believed that variations in sound quality were a matter of subjective assessment by the listener and therefore not capable of objective substantiation.
:lol:lol:rofl:hihi

looks like I'll have £1000000 coming my way shortly.. now what to spend it on...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:thumbsupgood read that mate:thumbsup
it does seem we are being conned!, my cable has just arrived this morning! i only ordered it 2 days ago and with the weather and christmas mail, i think the delivery was spot on!!!, i only paid £15 and thats because it is a flat cable in stead of round and 3m long!, otherwise it would be the £9 round one in my earlier link. and the feel and quality are spot on, v1.4 15gb tested and hd 3d ethenet supported, oh and 3core insulated:thumbsup
ps my wall mount arrived yesterday as well, took 1 day. so looks like i'm in for a great after xmas project:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rob330Cd seems to have went quiet on the matter... maybe he really did mean it was the end! :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Hopefully :thumbsup Love it when people say End OF....Means they are been pompous arrogant ar*es who don't actually have a clue,as proved yet again here :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hopefully :thumbsup Love it when people say End OF....Means they are been pompous arrogant ar*es who don't actually have a clue,as proved yet again here :thumbsup
:rofl:rofl:rofl you've obviously read some of his other posts as well.. :jaw-dropping:lol:hihi:hihi:hihi

Reactions: xXxStKxXx
1 - 20 of 21 Posts