BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Has anyone used L.E.D indicator bulbs on an E46?

9K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Zigourney 
#1 ·
hi guys

My car has clear indicator lens front and back but I have amber bulbs which can still be seen through the lens (I think its called the fried egg effect?) lol.

I was just going to replace them with chrome bulbs (that flash amber of course) but then I saw some LED indicator bulbs on flea bay and thought hmmm maybe these would be cool to have.

Has anyone tried them? any good? or should I just stick to the normal chrome bulbs. Cheers

Also if anyone knows the reference bulb sizes for the front and back indicators bulbs that would save me getting a few cuts on my hands, I always seem to get cuts on my hands everytime I pop the bonnet!

Here is the Flea bay item number for the type of bulb I was looking at : 260410937953

#2 ·
hello mate

i would just stick to the chrome bulbs. i have tried the leds on the indicators and number plate even the side lights and all of them seems to give off a fault after a while! It causes the computer on the car to say it has a bulb out, also sometimes to indicator will flash very quickly and then slows down..
But then again alot of poeple say they might be the wrong resistors in the leds. But i have tried them on my brothers fiesta and they work fine:shifty:

thanks

will

#3 ·
Damn! I was hoping someone would of said they are great and work fine! But looks like you've tried them all and no good!

If your right about the resistors then I guess its just pot luck whether the resistors used in the item number I suggested are the right ones. hmm don't know whether to take the risk and try them out :confused

Apart from that did the LED "flashes" look good i.e nice, even, bright flashes giving it a modern touch or did they make the car look cheap? if you get my drift.

Cheers

#6 ·
I think I will still order them next week payday and see how they go. Will probably just order the rears and if ok order the fronts after. The seller has good returns/replacement terms so will take the risk :thumbsup if they don't work out return them for an exchange for the normal chrome bulbs.

Im glad you said they look spot on and dont look like "chavy" upgrades. Cheers

#10 ·
yes sure its so simple

1) unclip clear plastic cover protecting the number plate lights and take old bulbs out
2) replace with LED bulbs
3) if they dont work straight away switch them around because there is a pos side of the bulb and a neg side of the bulb
4) step back and enjoy them !

i would class this as 0.5 on the scale, with 10 being very hard:thumbsup

#11 ·
I ordered the LED number plate bulbs yesterday along with 2 pairs of Philips Silvervision chrome indicator bulbs for the front and back, hope they arrive tomorrow, cant wait!

I was going to get LED indicator bulbs but have heard stories that they can leave bulb out error msgs so didnt bother. Anyway my next big upgrade will be some oem bmw led rear clusters in a couple of months, now cant wait for that one!

#12 ·
I got my Philips silvervision indicator bulbs today and kinda disappointed really coz the bulb isn't entirely covered in silver and there is a hint of yellow/amber in them. They look good on the back of my car, cannot see the bulbs, but in the fronts you can still make out the amber in the bulbs :mad

Oh well.

My led plate lights haven't arrived yet!
will take some pics once I have installed the plate lights.

#15 ·
Ok, I got the LED number plate lights today and im happy with them :thumbsup ~ they look nice against my silver paintwork :cool . Will take a pic at the weekend.

But the best ones I've seen are the Umnitza V4, might get them eventually after I get my oem rear LED clusters in a couple of months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.