BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a M3 Convertible (E46) with a hardtop, I had advertised the car for sale and as usual got the usual calls from interested buyers.

Last Monday eve I get a call from a guy who tells me he wants to put a deposit down and what time can he come round to look at the car. Strange as it may sound I have my suspicions as the guy asked the most stupid questions, and you wouldnt expect those from someone looking to buy a performance car like the M3. Anyway I tell the missus something's not right and I have have a feeling something is going to happen. The guy sends me a text at 9pm saying " I'm sorry mate but I have to go to a job now so cant come to look at the car but will call you tomorrow". Yes how foolish of me - the bas***d was obviously taking the p*** out of me by indirectly referring to the job of nicking my hardtop!!!

Next morning woke up and low & behold, 2 Policewomen accompanying to my car where I see there is no roof and the front 2 windows smashed with glass all over the place. I provide the telephone number of the chap to the police saying this is the guy who has nicked my hardtop so off you go.

In the mean time I send a text to the chap saying why dont you give me your address and I'll come and show you the car, did he reply - hell NO, because he's sat there with my hardtop at home!!! Never heard a pip squeak from him again!!!

Told my insurance company expecting to be assisted swiftly after never making a claim in 20 yrs. How wrong was I???? Heard so many stories about Elephant not paying up on claims and always finding some excuse - well guys be warned because they are just a bunch of crooks!!! After asking me to submit a quote from BMW, then pictures to prove I had a hardtop they turn round and say it's not our policy to pay out on theft of hardtops. It's a modification, it's not a standard part blah, blah, blah, blah...

Well if this was so true from the outset then why ask for a quote, why ask for proof, why did the file handler say to me if you had purchased from a dealer and not privately then it would have been covered - how is that ok, how does that beat a 'modification'???

Please, please, please note Elephant are implying no insurance company covers hardtops - if that's the case then why dont they clearly state that? I'll tell you why, because that way they still get the business in and then when a hardtop is nicked they come out with their abysmal excuses...

Are we to believe the thousands out there with hardtops are all unaware of the potential risk/loss???

One final point - the Police have said that they cant do much even though I have provided the number of the toss** who bravely came to my home and stole from me. A message for you if you ever come across this - I have your number and I am pursuing the measures at my disposal to find out your details.....God help you when I get those details!!!!! :mad

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Sorry to hear that!

Is there any way you can trace his number via the phone company or police?

It may also be worth keeping an eye out to see if a hard top thats the same as yours comes up on ebay etc, probably near by.

I'd also start raving at Elephant, Hard tops are not modifications, they are standard equipments items (albeit cost options).

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
I have a M3 Convertible (E46) with a hardtop, I had advertised the car for sale and as usual got the usual calls from interested buyers.

Last Monday eve I get a call from a guy who tells me he wants to put a deposit down and what time can he come round to look at the car. Strange as it may sound I have my suspicions as the guy asked the most stupid questions, and you wouldnt expect those from someone looking to buy a performance car like the M3. Anyway I tell the missus something's not right and I have have a feeling something is going to happen. The guy sends me a text at 9pm saying " I'm sorry mate but I have to go to a job now so cant come to look at the car but will call you tomorrow". Yes how foolish of me - the bas***d was obviously taking the p*** out of me by indirectly referring to the job of nicking my hardtop!!!

Next morning woke up and low & behold, 2 Policewomen accompanying to my car where I see there is no roof and the front 2 windows smashed with glass all over the place. I provide the telephone number of the chap to the police saying this is the guy who has nicked my hardtop so off you go.

In the mean time I send a text to the chap saying why dont you give me your address and I'll come and show you the car, did he reply - hell NO, because he's sat there with my hardtop at home!!! Never heard a pip squeak from him again!!!

Told my insurance company expecting to be assisted swiftly after never making a claim in 20 yrs. How wrong was I???? Heard so many stories about Elephant not paying up on claims and always finding some excuse - well guys be warned because they are just a bunch of crooks!!! After asking me to submit a quote from BMW, then pictures to prove I had a hardtop they turn round and say it's not our policy to pay out on theft of hardtops. It's a modification, it's not a standard part blah, blah, blah, blah...

Well if this was so true from the outset then why ask for a quote, why ask for proof, why did the file handler say to me if you had purchased from a dealer and not privately then it would have been covered - how is that ok, how does that beat a 'modification'???

Please, please, please note Elephant are implying no insurance company covers hardtops - if that's the case then why dont they clearly state that? I'll tell you why, because that way they still get the business in and then when a hardtop is nicked they come out with their abysmal excuses...

Are we to believe the thousands out there with hardtops are all unaware of the potential risk/loss???

One final point - the Police have said that they cant do much even though I have provided the number of the toss** who bravely came to my home and stole from me. A message for you if you ever come across this - I have your number and I am pursuing the measures at my disposal to find out your details.....God help you when I get those details!!!!! :mad
Sorry to hear this mate.

That is really SH*TTY :mad

I am glad you said that about elephant as I have heard a few people moan about them before but never had to claim off them myself luckily (altho I was insured for 2 years with them!)

As to the police not doing anything....that sounds about right! A completely useless bunch most of the time :mad

Did the M3 not have an alarm?

Have you read your policy docs fully? does it state no hardtops allowed?

Do BMW class this as a 'stock' car or stock item?

Also, I bet the lowlife was using a PAYG phone???

What area are you from? and where was it stolen? it may help finding out any info or the history of any hardtops that come up for sale...

edit// London Im guessing!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sorry to hear that!

Is there any way you can trace his number via the phone company or police?

It may also be worth keeping an eye out to see if a hard top thats the same as yours comes up on ebay etc, probably near by.

I'd also start raving at Elephant, Hard tops are not modifications, they are standard equipments items (albeit cost options).
Doesn't matter whether or not it's from the manufacturer it is not on the standard car, so it is a modification, they are the same about thew wheels on my Honda, they're Honda wheels but classed as mod because they are 'non standard'.

Still shi*ty though mate, sorry.

ATB,
Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to hear about the theft ik356 :frown
As for insurance, I'm afraid I have to agree with Tom. Modification means any alteration to the vehicle and includes things such as replacing original steel wheels with alloys or changing the standard exhaust to a performance one, as well as any other modifications to the body or engine. There is a huge market out there for second hand hard tops, and therefore there is more risk of that hardtop being stolen, so unless you declare it and pay the premium hike, insurance companies don't want to know :frown.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Have you tried googling the number? Did he always ring on the mobile, never a landline????

Tom
And if that doesnt turn anything up....

you should call these guys.
Finding people is what they do :shifty:

http://www.investigativeresources.co.uk/

and they can trace any UK or itnernational land or mobile number and provide name and address for the owner...

If its a PAYG mobile (likely) Im not sure what they offer but its gotta be worth a call ;)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
And if that doesnt turn anything up....

you should call these guys.
Finding people is what they do :shifty:

http://www.investigativeresources.co.uk/

and they can trace any UK or itnernational land or mobile number and provide name and address for the owner...

If its a PAYG mobile (likely) Im not sure what they offer but its gotta be worth a call ;)
Thats probably about the best lead to give the fella! :thumbsup

·
Registered
206 Posts
Why not phone the guy from your work phone as he wont recognise the number and tell him you are phoning about the hardtop he has for sale?!.....

As for Elephant, prior to my current occupation which i'll keep anon as it would appear we are none too popular on the forum.....! I was a claims handler, not for elephant but I think you should take it further, you can contact the FOS see link:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

If you have followed the complaints procedure ie lodged a complaint and are not satisfied with the result you can refer the matter to the FOS, they also have stated cases re certain knocked back claims.

As a matter of interest did you buy the car with the hardtop???? I would suggest if you did (which is what I would be saying) then how would you know it was a modification, surely its an option as is xenons/sunroof etc?

Def take it further and get onto the complaints dept, he who shouts loudest gets claim paid.......

Good luck

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
Holy Crap. I am absolutely stunned by this thread. I put on a hardtop for security but the truth is if it takes me and my mate less than a minute to put it on then its very simple to nick.

The other think that worries me about your hardtop theft is that it was at least two people who nicked it and i don't think it was nicked and then sold on. I think that whoever nicked your hardtop has a convertible of his own or his mate has one and when they took it off your car they put it straight onto theirs. I say this because you cannot fit the hardtop into any other car and they would have looked out of place running down the road with a hardtop. Also I guess it could have been placed into the back of a van.

I really feel for you and will be contacting my insurance company tomorrow to clarify whether or not my hard top is insured.

·
Registered
884 Posts

Get onto the small claims court. You can initiate proceedings at no cost to yourself. This is blatant robbery and breach of contract.

Do NOT let them get away with this.

I would imagine there would be a reasonable chance that once they get a summons (or whatever it is), you might get an offer of a settlement.

·
Administrator
4,218 Posts
B:censoredcks. It's an standard option not a modification. If you had parking sensors and they were damaged in an accident would they not cover them? As other said, what about the sunroof!

I have had two claims with elephant and they are as bad as everyone says! I won't go into details but their processes and staff are unbelievably bad. The staff also have a really shite attitude. I'd complain immediately using their complaints process as you then get to deal with someone more senior.

I only use them as I have decided that all insurance is legalised robbery.

Please take this further and fight the b:censoredds, I am fumming here!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

IK356 sorry to hear about this and worried as I have a the hardtop fitted at the moment!!

Just got off the phone this very minute from my insurers (The AA under written by HSBC) they claim that the hardtop is a modification/optional extra and not a standard option and so is not insured, they are going to get back to me on Monday as they need to fully confirm this with the underwrters and tell me how much it will be on top of my premium :frown

Will let you all know what they have to say as and when I know:yell

I would suggest that any of you out there with hardtops get on to your insurers and find out what thier policy is on hardtops as it might be less of a hassle and cheaper to do it now rather than later :confused

Regards Kevin

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
is it me or is society producing some of the worlds biggest scum bags these days. i dont understand what goes on in peoples minds these days. i feel very sorry for you as its the last thing you need right now.
I also feel that insurers are scum!

If a vehicle is fitted a with a genuine factory option, then they should stop putting it in teh same category as 'boy racer' bolt on modifications.

GigKHS - I would not amaze me if they wanted an extra £100 from you!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think they are trying it on. What's the difference between an optional extra and a standard option? If thats what they are saying. :eek

Mind you, I hate to say this but I think it all depends as to who is on shift that day in the insurance company. I was with Elephant a few years ago and had no problems with a write off payout.

As long as you can say you told the truth when taking out the contract with Elephant ie model of car etc, then they are in the wrong and should pay up.

Does anyone actually read all the small print in the leaflets they send you with the certificate of insurance?
I don't! :lol
They might include the hard top with such things as stereo, windscreen cover so you are limited to the amount you can claim. :mad

Don't give in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No Doubt The Phone He Used Was Nicked Also..Or Bought off Ebay for a Few Pounds!
This is Dreadful....
When I had My Motorbike Stolen a Few Years ago..it was up for sale at the Time...I mentioned this Innocently to the Insurers..As I also thought it could Have Been a Buyer that came to view...Big Mistake ..as they Implied I had organised it's theft because I couldn't Sell it!
Good Luck with the outcome

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.