BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a 2003 M3 Convertible which comes with the hard top fitted. I have searched everywhere for details of how the hard top is fitted and removed but have found no information.

Can anybody advise how the roof is fitted and removed?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
211 Posts
Its not too hard to do;

there are four mounting points for the hardtop. Two are on the top of the windshield frame on drivers and on the passenger sides which if you press on the little metal bit should bring the levers down. Pull each lever fully downwards to release the front. There are two more points on the rear on each side behind rectangular covers on the rear quarter pillar frame that you push in to open. There you will see a red lever that you must pull outwards on each side of the car (rear) to release the hardtop.

The hardtop will then come right up and out. I would really recommend that you have a second person to help you....the hardtop is not particularly heavy, but its cumbersome and you could badly scratch your car if you’re not careful. Best to raise the hardtop up out of the mounting points and out towards the rear of the car so you don’t have to go over the windshield at the front.
Then you should have two little plastic trim pieces somewhere that will cover the holes left by the mounting points.

I think thats it, tabbasam?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Its not too hard to do;

there are four mounting points for the hardtop. Two are on the top of the windshield frame on drivers and on the passenger sides which if you press on the little metal bit should bring the levers down. Pull each lever fully downwards to release the front. There are two more points on the rear on each side behind rectangular covers on the rear quarter pillar frame that you push in to open. There you will see a red lever that you must pull outwards on each side of the car (rear) to release the hardtop.

The hardtop will then come right up and out. I would really recommend that you have a second person to help you....the hardtop is not particularly heavy, but its cumbersome and you could badly scratch your car if you’re not careful. Best to raise the hardtop up out of the mounting points and out towards the rear of the car so you don’t have to go over the windshield at the front.
Then you should have two little plastic trim pieces somewhere that will cover the holes left by the mounting points.

Good work mate:thumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks that's really helpful and appreciated.

I've had many BMW cars but have never been so excited about taking delivery of one as I am now. Last thing I wanted was to be unable to remove the roof!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
thanx for the link a20.

Right first things first THIS IS NOT A ONE MAN JOB. I have a mate who is built like a brick shit house and he had removed and fitted his hardtop a few times but then the enevitable happened. He lost his grip and dropped it and smashed the rear screen, My advice is always get a freind to give you a hand.

To remove the hardtop you need to first put down all the windows and then release it from its four connection points. To start off you should unclip the windcreen mounts first, These are located under the sun visors and when you push the the dark square bit next to the long lever it will cause the lever to pop out a little bit, you then pull the levers and the front is released, sometimes you need to push these buttons hard as they can get stuck a little. once the front has ben released go to the back and push in the compartment covers located under the rear lights. the flap will flip open and inside you will see a red lever. Pull the red lever towards you and it releases the rear end, pull this lever as far forward as you can towards the front of the car and then get a mate to help you lift the hard top off.

The hardtop doesn't always come out first time as it requires the red lever to be in an exact location to allow the pins to come free. If this happens just move the red levers a little bit whilst raising the roof and it will pop out.

The roof is heavy so get a good grip before attempting to lift it off.

When you decide to refit the roof first locate the rear of the roof into the pin holes and then do the front. Lift the levers on the front to line up the front end but do not close the front clips first. Push the red levers in first so the back is secured and then push in the front levers.

I have removed and refitted my roof many times and I have found this mesthod to be the best and easiest.

All the best mate, if you struggle pm me your contact details and I will call yo as soon as i get the message. It is a very simple procedure so I cannot see you having any problems. Once you've removed it and fitted it once it will become a piece of cake.

Best of luck mate.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
Its not too hard to do;

nice one arun, i didn't get a chance to read your post because I've been rushing around alot lately.

I would also recommend cleaning the roof and protecting it with autoglym fabric hood cleaner and protector, around £20 from halford. Another thing I noticed that it is worth removing the hardtop now and again and checking to see there is no mould growing on the roof due to it being wet when closed. It has not happened to me but I've seen it on another car and although its a simple procedure to clean it looks nasty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it true, that you can remove the softtop as a unit? its does say you can on wikipedia? i am looking at an m3 and would like to remove the softtop to save the weight, as the opertunity to own the M3 is very good at a very good price so im gona buy the Cab even if i really want a propper hard top

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its not too hard to do;

I think thats it, tabbasam?[/QUOTE

First post on this forum. I just purchased a 325ci in mystic blue 05 plate with sand interior. The hardtop was sold elsewhere and a couple of the rear plastic covers - one rectangular and a round one are missing. Any info ref part no or where I can buy these from would be appreciated. These are the covers that fit over the rear left and right hand side where the hard top would have fitted thru.
Many thanks!!!!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
264 Posts
First post on this forum. I just purchased a 325ci in mystic blue 05 plate with sand interior. The hardtop was sold elsewhere and a couple of the rear plastic covers - one rectangular and a round one are missing. Any info ref part no or where I can buy these from would be appreciated. These are the covers that fit over the rear left and right hand side where the hard top would have fitted thru.
Many thanks!!!![/QUOTE]

RealOEM.com   BMW E46 330Ci Lateral trim panel rear
I think number 11 is what you are looking for?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.