BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, my lights on my E36 are about to die out and will need replacing soon. I was recommended philips x-treme power by a good friend but my other buddy says that the osram night breakers are better for night time driving?:confused

After being told many things i cant really decide on which ones to get. Has anyone had any experience on these and which to get?

John.:thumbsup

p.s i prefer to stick to non HID lights ;)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
105 Posts
The lights on my old Volvo V40 were very dim so i put in some Osram night breakers and they were very good although they didn't last very long but that was probably down to the DRL's on Volvos. I know you said you dont want to go the HID route but when you consider night breakers will set you back £25-30 and you can have HID for £60-70 i'd be tempted to spend a little extra for the HID.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
If you dont want to go the HID route i would really recommend the osram silverstar or night breakers. Ive been using them for a couple of years and there is a really noticable difference. They only problem is that once they are in they do not like to be removed. (as i found out yesterday:mad).
Have a look on ebay coz they are much cheaper on there than our own parts supplier. :thumbsup

·
Registered
616 Posts
if i were you id just get hid's they are awesome i was sat behind a Q at a round about yesterday and when i turned my lights off all the signs went dim i chuckled to my self and turned them back on again. plus the consume less power, last longer and look better .win imo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would look at some Philips bulbs personally, in particular...Blue Vision. Although, the above suggestions of Osram are good as well. Nice LINK to purchase from :thumbsup

if i were you id just get hid's they are awesome i was sat behind a Q at a round about yesterday and when i turned my lights off all the signs went dim i chuckled to my self and turned them back on again. plus the consume less power, last longer and look better .win imo.
Still not convinced with this option without projector lenses Craig :D...You must be blinding a lot of oncoming drivers :shifty:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would look at some Philips bulbs personally, in particular...Blue Vision. Although, the above suggestions of Osram are good as well. Nice LINK to purchase from :thumbsup

Still not convinced with this option without projector lenses Craig :D...You must be blinding a lot of oncoming drivers :shifty:
been flashed once m8 and that was on a tight and twisty road:crowded

:thumbsup they are very good :thumbsup

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats more or less my reason to avoid HIDs :D
i have heard good things here on the night breakers but nothing on the philips xtreme power yet...are they not good or something?:eek

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haven't experienced the Philips Xtreme power, but the reviews look very good, in fact top of the list HERE :thumbsup. I have always used Philips Blue Vision and can vouch for them :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I use autobulbs direct, and have had their own brand upgrade bulbs (two sets have been on both my cars, with one set being moved from my e36 to my Honda), so they've lasted around 4 years so far :) and at around 14 quid with free p&P they're not too expensive.

Tom

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Neal, found that quite interesting to read! i might go for the phillips XP seeing as they topped the night breakers.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i have SEAT 50% Xenon plus main beams - from SEAT dealers and cheap
My full beams are Osram night breakers

Both sets were less than £20 and both very good. I've had the SEAT bulbs for about 4 years and they've been in my last 3 cars - they are that good !!
Bought the osrams when I got BMW back in August.

They both have a very white/blue light

·
Registered
312 Posts
HIDs on e36

Hi - I have HIDs on my e36 and have no problems with blinding other motorists. This model has a projector lens and you get a nice sharp cut off on the low beams.

Recommend 6000K colour temp for brightest (closest to daylight), or 8000K colour temp if you want more blue (which is what I have).

Wasting time on halogens, HIDs have 3 times the luminousity. However, if you have to go for some, forget about the claims of brightness and use of xenon gas etc. Ask for a set of 6000K colour and you will get the brightness you want.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for being a bit off topic but does anyone know what make of euro headlights i have on my E36? - its the same as it rolled out of the factory.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most likely Bosch, is there nothing on the headlight?
By anything do you mean any symbols, and writings on the glass? I always thought that the original headlights that came on standard E36 euros were made by ZKW.

p.s the reason i want to know is because im thinking of fitting to HID...depending on my headlights. Bosh makes the worst projector headlights..

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have put in HIDs on my E36 328i recently & put in blue sidelights today, so now I am after some white/blue full beam bulbs (not the yellows OEM ones I have now). Do these Osram or Phillips bulbs here give that kind of white/blue colour or are they the same yellow colour as the BMW ones?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nightbreaker and the XP will still have some yellowness but lightout is much better than oem and not as yellow. its not as white as you might think. if you want "white" with light output about the same as oem than i would suggest phillips diamond vision...

Would suggest you look into civicinfo as the civic boys talk a lot about their lightings and there are a lot of pics lol

·
Registered
312 Posts
GP Thunders

I have put in HIDs on my E36 328i recently & put in blue sidelights today, so now I am after some white/blue full beam bulbs (not the yellows OEM ones I have now). Do these Osram or Phillips bulbs here give that kind of white/blue colour or are they the same yellow colour as the BMW ones?

Some of the US forums have been talking up GP Thunders as they guarantee the colour temp - you need over 6000K to get the white/bright look. And you can also get 100w as well as the standard 55/60w.

See my other post Best Bulbs. I've bought some and will do a review in a week or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts