BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE

A new key can also be purchased from here: http://www.rclick.co.uk/index.php?cPath=56 These seem to be slightly better quality, you will have to by the flip out style fob, the correct blank and a logo for it but all this still comes to less than £10 !!! With the key cut, the total charge should be in the region of £15 -£17.50!! Bargain....

Hi all, I have recently got an E36 and was not very happy with the keys that came with it (they were old and shabby!!).

Anyway, knowing that BMW would charge the earth for a new key, I set about getting one from Ebay. They are readily available and cost no more than £20 for a blank key.

I then got my local key cutter to cut the key like my original one. He was a bit funny about warranty of the key as he said it would not work without the transponder. After assuring him that I would sort that and for £5 I got my duplicate key.

Trying it in the car, the lights came on but of course would not turn over as there is no chip in it. Now for the fun part...

1. Take apart the original key. Mine was very easy as it was falling apart anyway.

The parts that came out of mine could be thrown away as this just operated the useless light on the key.

2. The part we want is the transponder chip and this is just glued in. I used a small knife and it came out very easily.

3. Next, I took apart the new key. This was done by unscrewing the three screws on the back. Carefull with the top one as this also holds the spring of the 'flip' key.

4. Now a bit of trial and error is needed. Place the chip near the top of the key and use some sellatape to hold in place. Try the key in the car. If it starts great, if not try moving the chip until it does. It took me two goes. Now secure the chip in position - I used sellatape but if this comes loose, I'll use some glue.

5. Put your new key back together, making sure you 'wind' the spring back a couple of times so that it will 'flip' using the button and then marvel at your new key.

Total Cost = £23

Total Time = 10 minutes

:hihi

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks RYM, been meaning to do this for a few days now and will be putting up more and more as time goes by and I do different things.

Just hope it helps others out. At first I was quite scared that I would ruin one of my keys but I shouldnt have. This truly was one of the easiest jobs going.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I only got one key with my 323 and it was the silly spare key that has a next to useless light, the transponder is just glued in on mine but how would I actually make use of it in the blank key?
You will need to take the transponder out of the old one for the new key. It won't be strong glue.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE

A new key can also be purchased from here: http://www.rclick.co.uk/index.php?cPath=56 These seem to be slightly better quality, you will have to by the flip out style fob, the correct blank and a logo for it but all this still comes to less than £10 !!! With the key cut, the total charge should be in the region of £15 -£17.50!! Bargain....

·
Registered
386 Posts
could anyone tell me what key fob i would need for my e36 compact to make it a flip one and also how do you keep the remote central locking with the key?? thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
could anyone tell me what key fob i would need for my e36 compact to make it a flip one and also how do you keep the remote central locking with the key?? thanks
Hi Mark,

I ordered the following:

1 x Blank Keys for our Flip OR Fixed Type Remotes
- Blank: BM58 £0.95
1 x Remote Control R60b £7.95
1 x Logo (BMW Badge) for our Flip Type Remote R60

Make sure that the Blank key is the same shape as your current one as there are two types.

With regards to the remote central locking, you can take the new fob apart and maybe fit your current circuitry into the new fob.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
My order from rclick arrived yesterday :thumbsup The key has a little place specifically for the transponder chip to sit in too. Now I'm working on getting the alarm fob gubbins to sit inside it. I'll post my findings if I get it working.

EDIT - By the way, if you're in the Bournemouth/Christchurch area, I can recommend the little shop in Saxon Square for getting the blanks cut. He's a sound guy who happens to drive a gorgeous, fully loaded E46 M3 coupe.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.