BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a potential write-off (see http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f9/melted-wiring-loom-t18549/). However, my girlfriend has just ordered a new car and I'm wondering whether I can take advantage of the government scrapping scheme to save out on losses.

We've only been going out for a few months, so I don't want to do any joint-ownership etc. As I understand it, you can only get the £2,000 if you have owned the car for a year, so I can't transfer it to her for her to get the bonus.

What I am thinking is that I could buy the car with the scrapping scheme, then she could buy it off me on the first day. Presumably this would not affect warranties much (or would it as she would be the second owner of the car). Does the car have to be working at the time of scrap, or just have a valid MOT (the MOT runs out at mid august). Obviously, the car's not drivable in the current state. :-(

Would she not be elligible for it as she's already ordered the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Car has to have MOT,road tax or SORN and be in your name for a year-if your car qualifies then it wont matter that its not driveable besides surely the point is that its going to be scrapped anyway?
As for the other questions I am not sure you would have to speak to the dealer

·
Registered
100 Posts
how much you gonna lose on selling it to your girlfriend lol it will be second hand then ,but there must be written clauses like everything hope it goes your way tho ....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Put her name on the docs, my parents bought my last car for me, but I own it (I'm on the V5), the person paying doesn't have to be the owner on the V5 so tell them your paying and the cars yours but you want it registered in her name. Ask the salesman I'm sure he could wangle a few things :)

Tom

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
somebody told me the other day that the scrappage scheme will be over and done with by august as the money put in by the bast.... erm... government will run out about then.

whether thats just speculation or not I cannot say

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.