BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am not normally one for sending letters, but this latest idiotic proposal from the goverment has prompted me to write to my MP. It has infuriated me as it is simply going to penalise us all.

Unless we speak up, the goverment are sure to implement this. In short this could see an end to the enjoyment of driving on rural roads. I have added a link at the bottom and suggest we really need to spread the message before it's too late.

"Dear Colin Breed MP,

I write to you regarding the government's latest proposal to reduce rural speed restrictions.
I have read the recent reports in the media and this proposal has prompted me to contact you.
Firstly, I would like to point out that I fully support effective measures that improve road safety. However, I do not subscribe to the views of certain politicians who believe the lowering of rural speed limits will result in the reduction of serious road traffic collisions. Moreover, this could increase tensions on our roads or reduce concentration of motorists leading to complacency which in turn will lower their standard of driving.
Whilst I accept that in some instances excess speed is a contributing factor, I feel the main cause of serious road traffic collisions is attributable to driver error/negligence. In other words the lowering of current speed restrictions on our rural roads will not deter those who choose to drive in a dangerous or inappropriate manner.
The government should focus more on targeting irresponsible motorists instead penalising the majority of law abiding and competent drivers who will be unnecessarily impeded by this unfair proposal.
I would appreciate if you could convey my views, which I’m sure others will share, to the minsters behind these proposals.

Yours Sincerely,

(AN ANGRY LAW ABIDING MOTORIST!)"

http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think its madness as well - surely given the number of people that die through drugs / smoking / alcoholism (all of which are significantly higher) the government should be putting the money that will be spent on average speed cameras towards tackling these greater issues? A 10% reduction in these deaths would be higher than those killed on roads.

But then saving people from cancer doesn't put money back into Mr Brown's back pocket does it? Or am I being too cynical?

I think Autocar raised a good point about the headline statistic of 69% of fatalities on rural roads perhaps being down to the increased time for emergency services to reach them, objects like trees being closer etc.

Wonder how long it will be till they start to push the concept of cars automatically limiting themselves based on the speed limit?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Dear Jim FITZPATRICK MP,

I write to you regarding the government's latest proposal to reduce rural speed restrictions.

I have read the recent reports in the media which has prompted me to contact you.

Firstly, I would like to point out that I fully support effective measures that improve road safety. However, I do not subscribe to the views of certain politicians who believe the lowering of rural speed limits will result in the reduction of serious road traffic collisions. Moreover, this could increase tensions on our roads or reduce concentration of motorists leading to complacency which in turn will lower their standard of driving. In other words the lowering of current speed restrictions on our rural roads will not deter those who choose to drive in a dangerous or inappropriate manner.

The local authorty already has the ability to implement speed restrictions on rural roads which is well evidenced throughout the country. A "blanket" reduction will do nothing to improve the standards of driving in this country. The notion of "Speed Kills" is misleading. Speed alone does not kill as most accidents are attributed to poor driving/negligence although accept that in some instances EXCESS speed is a contributing factor.

The government should focus more on targeting irresponsible motorists instead penalising the majority of law abiding and competent drivers who will be unnecessarily impeded by this unfair proposal.

Yours Sincerely,

(Animalfreeride)"

"Dear

Thank you for your recent correspondence to this Department regarding press reports about changes to the national speed limit. This has been passed to the Speed Management Branch and I have been asked to reply.

The Department for Transport keeps all speed limits under review. However, no decisions have been taken about the reduction of any speed limits. Any proposal to change the national speed limit would have to be based on robust evidence of the impact on casualties, emissions and journey times. It would also need to consider issues of enforcement and public acceptability. Any changes would be subject to widespread consultation.

In 2007 there were 2,946 deaths on our roads, with 1,973 of those being on rural roads. The proportion of fatal collisions on rural roads where speed was recorded as a contributory factor was 30%. Given the extent of the casualty problem on these roads, it is clearly vital that the Department looks at ways to reduce these casualties. We are doing this in developing our new road safety strategy, which will be the subject of public consultation in due course.

I hope this is helpful.

John Gray
Speed Policy
Road User Safety Division
Department for Transport"

COME ON GUYS SPEAK UP & SIGN THE PETITION

Guys,

I wrote direct to the idiot who proposed this idea & received the above response. I also received a letter from my MP today direct from House Of Commons.

I'm really surprised the forum hasn't really taken this issue that seriously seeming we are all "petrol heads" !!

In short, unless more of us speak up, they will undoubtedly implement these restrictions & spoil our fun!!

It goes without saying that if we all drove at 10mph then of course there would be fewer serious accidents or fatalities, but there has to be a balance. The government are really missing the point here & should be more focused on driver improvement.

If you feel strongly against the speed reduction proposal from the government please sign the petition

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction

I have also added these two;

Petition against nationwide speed cameras

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/No-to-Cameras/

Petitiion to increase speed limit to 80mph

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/EIGHTY/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.