BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let some of you know, I have managed to get my hands on one of my aunts 98 M3 Evo Coupe thats used as a garage ornament a year after it was purchased. Genuine 37,266 miles from new, black with as far as I can see the general decent specification, Harmon Kardon stereo, heated leather, cruise, ASC :D

Just been to other other end of the midlands to pick it up and have got it until next week so I can spend some real world time trying out an M3 to see if I'll be happy with one.

I just cruised back at an unusual 80mph and the car seemed to ride better than what I expected it to, but then again motorways are not usually bumpy. The Harmon Kardon hi-fi is definately a huge leap in the right direction for sound quality usually found on any BMW, but its nothing like that of the standard setup in my Volvo :frown

This one is quieter than I expected as well, but with very little mileage it probably to be expected. All the rubber seals seem quite supple as well (but having been kept in a garage since it was new again thats to be expected).

Tomorrow morning, at 4:50am I'm getting out of bed just to go driving (like I used to on my motorbike). Going to take it on the same routes I used on my bike and see how much fun it really is as it will be in its element an the A roads I have in mind. Long near maximum speed sweeping bends, leading to straights with a hairpin or 1st gear corner at the end, high speed crests, several miles of challenging country lanes (fast and slow). This will be more of a fun factor as I honestly believe this is the cars ideal environment, but I'll have all of next week to mix it up with traffic.

Oh and the car is running on ContisportContact 2's all , which are sublime to slide on and very precise in the way they communicate and deliver the information back to teh driver but lack the absolute outright grip of the more edgy Eagle F1 Asymetrics, which I prefer to be fitted to the front end.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
You lucky git! :hihi

Just remember to return it in one piece. :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jammy git :hihi

Wish my aunt would lend me an m3 to thrash about!
Has she got 2 of them or something?
No, she bought it when I started college and had my 325i. A year after or so she started working down south but lives in Coventry. So she got a 307Hdi to commute and run about in, as a result the M3 just became a garage ornanment ever since. 2 years after I bought my M5.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Those roads around Melton by any chance from the description ?
:D

Close enough, just the outskirts of Nottingham (NE) but will be comming back down towards Melton then back into Notts;)

Despite the size of the E34 M5, i used to love hammering these roads years and years ago in that and it handled them very well. I'm expecting the M3 to be a more nimble version of that to be honest.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Fair flocking play to you DSK:thumbsup

A weeks trial? That's awesome. That will be enough time to make you never want to give it back:hihi

321 bhp @ 4:30 am = Flock loads of fun.

I look forward to reading the update tomorrow afternoon:cool

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just demolished 2 3/4 tanks of fuel since this morning and buzzing. But I'm about to fill up, go for a shopping trip into across into Derby :sarcastic for a bit with g/f.

This mroning the car did what it was designed to do amazingly as any M car would under such conditions. Got a few concerns about general everday use and something doesn't seem right about the acceleration, its feels smoother and stronger through the entire rev range, with better bottom end get up and go than I was expecting and have been used to from experience with M cars...... somethings been done to it I'm certain of that (as far as I know its standard but it feels like its had a remap or something along those lines).

Anyway will phone my aunt to see what the acceleration business is all about and post in more detail later. In short, what I expected it to do, it did just a little better than I expected, but will have the everyday real world driving issues that will get up my nose.... but such issues I've always put up with.

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
Just demolished 2 3/4 tanks of fuel since this morning and buzzing. But I'm about to fill up, go for a shopping trip into across into Derby :sarcastic for a bit with g/f.

This morning the car did what it was designed to do amazingly as any M car would under such conditions. Got a few concerns about general everyday use and something doesn't seem right about the acceleration, its feels smoother and stronger through the entire rev range, with better bottom end get up and go than I was expecting and have been used to from experience with M cars...... somethings been done to it I'm certain of that (as far as I know its standard but it feels like its had a remap or something along those lines).

Anyway will phone my aunt to see what the acceleration business is all about and post in more detail later. In short, what I expected it to do, it did just a little better than I expected, but will have the everyday real world driving issues that will get up my nose.... but such issues I've always put up with.
So how far did you drive to use that much fuel?

Took mine for a spin this morning. They are a bit quick! The sheer speed of them will take a little getting used to. Down one small straight I ended up overtaking three cars in a row and I only popped out to overtake one but re-evaluated! I find the acceleration crazily addictive, once you use it you are then looking for places to use it.

I must say it was the low down grunt that most surprised me on my M.
So what were these everyday issues? Rides a bit crashier than the 328 but it's not that bad.

So what do you prefer the 328 or the M3? My M3 is growing on me but I am still undecided on which I prefer! The noise the M3 makes almost decides that!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went upto the outskirts of Doncaster and as far south as the outskirts of Coventry all on the country roads that I used to run on the motorbike and years ago in my M5, when I'd just fill up and go 'driving'. The revs never dropped below 4,300 unless I had to come to a stop lol. I was gone for several hours.

My aunt told me that she had the M3 ECU remapped when I bought my M5, so that explains why it felt a bit sharper and stronger than I was expecting it to.

Yes the M3 is fast and as a package under the conditions yesterday (quiet roads, allowing for consistent high speed driving) the car was bang on, exactly what I expected and the chassis was better that I was expecting (probably as its fresh and completely standard). However, as will all M cars (bar the E39 M5 and excluding the new current M cars which I have not driven), you have to give them lots of revs to make them move. This is what used to bug me and will always bug me as I like savage wallop from 2,000rpm all the way round. (I don't want to wait for revs to build and the keep it spinning day in, day out). My aunts M3 felt strong and tight, with adeqaute torque for the type of engine it is low down, but to really get it going like an M3 the revs had to be above 4,000rpm. However, this is something that I would just put up with as the engine isn't designed to provide maximum bang right from the bottom). I would also have a rempap done, its just made the engine feel 15% better but more importantly its made it seem a bit more flexible, which in everyday driving situations is what I want.

The coupes at the moment that sound attractive are mainly SMG models (fewer owners, FBMSH, good specification), so rather than swim against the tide, I don't want to spend money on something that may or may not be fully cured should I become an SMG statistic. There are a couple of Convertibles, don't know how a soft top M3 would drive compared to the coupe, but there's one I'm tempted to go take a look at if its still for sale at the end of the month.

As for the 328i, the fact that its fully sorted, everything fresh etc, really flawless to drive in every respect, spending so much more to get an M3 isn't wise. But, I made the decision to change to another vehicle a few months back, but due to the g/f's Golf being 5 door its eased the burden on me so I can just take my time rather than rush any purchase.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Been following this post with envy, I had forgotten what it was like to get up at stupid o'clock just for a drive, sounded like a fantastic day.

Now you have the Golf, does that open up the possibility of a Z3/Z4 M Coupe?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been following this post with envy, I had forgotten what it was like to get up at stupid o'clock just for a drive, sounded like a fantastic day.

Now you have the Golf, does that open up the possibility of a Z3/Z4 M Coupe?
For me the M coupe (some call it the Z3M), is not an option, too small and IMO very very twitchy, has great grip, but when it goes..... it goes big time lol. It not as sublime in the same way you can drive an M3 or M5 on the limit.

Z4M coupe I think is a fabulous attempt at a mans coupe, to be honest i think i like the Z4M coupe more than the current M5! but not for me personally, getting on a bit at 29yrs lol.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
For me the M coupe (some call it the Z3M), is not an option, too small and IMO very very twitchy, has great grip, but when it goes..... it goes big time lol. It not as sublime in the same way you can drive an M3 or M5 on the limit.

Z4M coupe I think is a fabulous attempt at a mans coupe, to be honest i think i like the Z4M coupe more than the current M5! but not for me personally, getting on a bit at 29yrs lol.

Time yet, you feel like this till about 35, have a mid-life crisis, think f*** it, then start going back in age .... worked for me !!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.