BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I read in a popular car magazine, that the cost of scrap metal has gone down to £30 per tonne, as china have closed its doors to imported scrap for the time being.

Thats good news for those of us who like the older beemers, as less cars will be driven to the scrap yard because of a dodgy alternator! Some scrapyards have made a business out of other peoples lack of knowledge by replaciing simple parts, then flogging them on ebay for hundreds and sometimes thousands of pounds.

Whilst i understand this will have a negative effect on breakers yards,as parts may dry up a little, also
maybe this will mean there will be some cheap bargains out there for those people who dont mind getting their hands dirty!

i reckon people should look out for some good e30s and shark noses out there! :thumbsup

·
Registered
78 Posts
I reckon you'd be amazed how much useful old bmw bits have been crushed and gone because of China.

So many worthwhile cars were weighed in last year it was unreal. **** me half of my town was weighed in when it was £150 a ton. We do have a lot of pikeys here lol.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Maybe some more E30's will be saved form the scrapyard in the sky now beacause they need about £100's worth of welding done to sort out some rust :D I see 635csi for sale around my way the other day for like £1700 looked pretty tidy too.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
635's will only ever go up in value now, even the less popular 628's are on the rise, get one now and it will be a good investment, if your budget doesnt quite stretch a couple of grand for a good 635, get an old 7 series, not as desireable, but again will go up in value. I saw an old '82 728 in just down the road from me in lichfield for sale on ebay, almost mint! went for less than a grand, i kicked myself when i missed that one!!:banghead

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im in the same boat as you then mate, ive not long brought my e34 sport, which needs a list of parts, i'm doing the important stuff now, then when the warmer days come, i will get it finished.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Haha I have had my e36 sport since Feb and the list never ends. Mine was pretty good when I got it to lol.

I am due tax, mot, new rear tyres, new RTA bushes and a clutch. Already this month I have changed rear ball joint bushes, rear top mounts (for e46 m3 cab ones) and rear arb bushes (for powerflex ones).

I find I am always behind about 3 fairly important jobs, a couple not so urgent and quite a few ideal world type dreams lol.

If you havent got a list of things to do on a 90's BM you're either lying to yourself, dont know much about your car, or someone before you has spent a fortune and even then it wont stay perfect for ever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts