BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

So I have 523 E39(M52B25) and brakes needs to be changed soon. When I say brakes, I mean discs/rotors and pads, both rear and front. The "problem" is I can't decide what brand to go for. I know that OEM ones from official dealer have the best performance and bite, but here they cost like 700 EUR for parts and about another 100 EUR for labor...even if you go for a local garage and not the dealer. I've talked to a lot of people and basically everyone is recommending different brand. The main problem with "which brand to choose" is the bending/warping. A lot of the big names sell rotors, which are bending very quickly and the whole car vibrates above 100 km/h.

I know for sure I won't go with ATE , although I think they are the OEM supplier. Everyone around me, who bought ATE rotors ended up with bent rotors in less, than 1000km. I'm guessing the batch, that came here is bad one, but I don't want to risk it.

So this time I'm thinking to order everything online from some UK store, like autodoc or the likes. Long story short I'm looking for recommendations for good or the best brake rotors and brake pads brand. Narrowed them down to:

TRW

TEXTAR

ZIMMERMANN

FERODO

BREMBO

BOSCH(someone told me they are the other OEM brakes supplier for BMW)

Of course I'm open to other suggestions as long as they are better, than the cited ones. You can also suggest good priced online shop.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi madafaka

I can't speak highly enough of the EBC Yellow Stuff pads! The difference is incredible and they work great from cold (so very safe for road driving). I personally stick to oem discs every time (my F10 and F11) have ATE oem discs. The wear is even, and I have not noticed any increase wear from the Yellow Stuff pads. There is less 'dust' also.

The price however isn't cheap, I think the front pads are c£95 and the rears c£45 which is 2 or 3 times more than oem pads But I honestly can't fault them. They are brilliant. Having said that they may be a little cheaper for the older models... but that's for you to source.

EBC also make an oem pad equivalent called Ultimax, an ecofriendly Green Stuff pad (which I don't think is suitable for larger cars) and a Redstuff pad which is not a road going pad but more track focused as they require time to 'warm up' before they become effective.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I've used Meyle and Bosch disk sets on a couple of my old E39s. Never noticed any issues with any of them. IIRC I've got Bosch on my old 535i at the present time and I put Meyles on the old 530i estate. Can't recall what I put on the 525i but they were drilled. A bit noisy but worked very well, especially in the wet.

WRT to EBC I use their stuff on my bikes. I do like their pads but I've been less impressed by their aftermarket disks. Had to send one set back because they were so far off true out of the box that I didn't even bother fitting them. The replacement set wasn't perfect either.

A 523 isn't really what you'd call a track tool so you are unlikely to be stressing things that much. Granted they are relatively heavy beasts but if you are getting the brakes hot enough for it to matter a better option would be to modify your driving style. I had a 523i and while it was a lovely old lump in it's own way the performance was never going to get your heart racing. No point being the last of the late, late brakers in a bus like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts