BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and girls just bough a 2018 BMW 118i today and noticed its keyless start. I see everywhere about these keyless cars being stolen by thieves using some cloning device? When I searched online for the ghost immobiliser which seems to prevent this it states its only compatible with other 1 series models not mine being a 2018. I'm not much use when it comes to cars. Does anyone have any info for me to keep my car secure? Do I need one of these or am I safe?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Guys and girls just bough a 2018 BMW 118i today and noticed its keyless start. I see everywhere about these keyless cars being stolen by thieves using some cloning device? When I searched online for the ghost immobiliser which seems to prevent this it states its only compatible with other 1 series models not mine being a 2018. I'm not much use when it comes to cars. Does anyone have any info for me to keep my car secure? Do I need one of these or am I safe?

Thanks a lot.
a mate of mine is super paranoid over his t-troc R being pinched - he takes the ignition fuse out at night 😅

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
How do you unlock your car? You mention keyless start but is it going to unlock itself as you walk up to the car?
If you have to press a button on the key fob to unlock, then same as mine, only transmits as the button is pressed.
If the key fob just has to be on your person, then it transmits a signal all the time, this is the sort that needs a keyfob case that acts as a faraday cage - stops any pick up of that signal by anyone intending to steal the car, a receiver transmits to something like a laptop, that unlocks the car and enables drive away, the protective case stops that, but does mean you take out of case when wanting to use.
Mine after pressing button to unlock, has keyless start, the car detects the key and enables the start button to work.
Which do you have?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you unlock your car? You mention keyless start but is it going to unlock itself as you walk up to the car?
If you have to press a button on the key fob to unlock, then same as mine, only transmits as the button is pressed.
If the key fob just has to be on your person, then it transmits a signal all the time, this is the sort that needs a keyfob case that acts as a faraday cage - stops any pick up of that signal by anyone intending to steal the car, a receiver transmits to something like a laptop, that unlocks the car and enables drive away, the protective case stops that, but does mean you take out of case when wanting to use.
Mine after pressing button to unlock, has keyless start, the car detects the key and enables the start button to work.
Which do you have?
So to get into the car I have the same as you I use the button on the key to unlock the door and then when inside I can start the car without placing the key into anything. So I don't need this ghost immobiliser or the other device to store my key in to stop the RFID signal? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts