BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must one of very few people that wants my G31 changed from m sport suspension to an SE set up. My previous F11 was an SE and it’s a perfect balance between comfort and firmish not so floaty ride with excellent corner handling.

Looking for information of how I do this, is it simply a matter of springs (I guess no such luck…) or is there a combination of components that need changing I.e. shocks, wishbones etc, I’m aware that the rear is air/ self levelling struts which will bump up the £££s of course.

Thanks E

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
M sport has its own springs and shocks,I doubt arms/bushes etc differ but if you look on realoem.com you can have a check of part numbers to see if there’s any differences.
Not sure about the air bags being different but again realoem should show if part numbers differ between SE and m sport

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Depends if you want new or used from a breakers but if new you might be better talking to someone like Birds to see what an aftermarket set up would cost?
Or look at what Alpina spec is (Bilstein I think) as they are always considered less crashy than (Sachs) MSport set up

:)

Reactions: Clooney999

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M sport has its own springs and shocks,I doubt arms/bushes etc differ but if you look on realoem.com you can have a check of part numbers to see if there’s any differences.
Not sure about the air bags being different but again realoem should show if part numbers differ between SE and m sport
Thanks - really useful, visited realeom.com managed to get part numbers needed, couldn’t see one for the spring itself though interestingly! All other axle parts listed. 😁👍 ooosh…..not cheap!! lots of second hand stuff out there though, especially SE as most want the opposing set up change to me.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have always found springs to be a bit difficult to identify on realoem as it gives a part number against a 2 digit code rather than saying for m sport or for se etc. there will be something 0v inter on your spring like D3 and SE will have a different code so you will probably need someone with an SE to see if they can find code and post it up for you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends if you want new or used from a breakers but if new you might be better talking to someone like Birds to see what an aftermarket set up would cost?
Or look at what Alpina spec is (Bilstein I think) as they are always considered less crashy than (Sachs) MSport set up

Definitely worth looking into, Birds are not far away either in Heathrow! Top man 👍👍

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Another thing to consider too is replacing runflat tyres especially if you have large diameter rims
Normal tyres improve the ride noticeably

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got rid of them on my F20 and what a transformation - different car.
I swapped them out on my old e61 SE, have to say whilst the ride was improved was only marginal, so I kept them on my F11 they seemed to work fine on 18 alloys with SE suspension, and came in handy when I hit a piece of twisted metal on the m25 that took out rear near side, but still managed to get the car home 40 miles, the other thing to consider regarding run flats is “debatably“ they last longer. I’ve had up to 35k out of a off side front Pirelli p7.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I swapped them out on my old e61 SE, have to say whilst the ride was improved was only marginal, so I kept them on my F11 they seemed to work fine on 18 alloys with SE suspension, and came in handy when I hit a piece of twisted metal on the m25 that took out rear near side, but still managed to get the car home 40 miles, the other thing to consider regarding run flats is “debatably“ they last longer. I’ve had up to 35k out of a off side front Pirelli p7.
I live in the sticks and the single track lanes are very poorly maintained - really badly patched and the council takes weeks to fill in new potholes.

With the Eagles, the 116i has the best ride over them than both a Leaf and a Golf, whereas it was worse with the Potenza run flats. It's particularly improved on bumpy bends on the main roads and no longer skitters off line.
Grip also higher though I'm not sure whether they'll last as long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in the sticks and the single track lanes are very poorly maintained - really badly patched and the council takes weeks to fill in new potholes.

With the Eagles, the 116i has the best ride over them than both a Leaf and a Golf, whereas it was worse with the Potenza run flats. It's particularly improved on bumpy bends on the main roads and no longer skitters off line.
Grip also higher though I'm not sure whether they'll last as long.
Did your 116 have an m sport set up or SE ? E

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a 116i Sport but afaik not M Sport. (has 17" wheels, 225/45 all round)

The spec is pretty basic - halogen lights, no cruise (does now as I retrofitted it), non power folding mirror nor heated seats etc.
That’s interesting, the stiffer ride quality on my M sport my be a simple fix with tyres then, 🙂👍

·
Registered
28 Posts
That’s interesting, the stiffer ride quality on my M sport my be a simple fix with tyres then, 🙂👍
You have to suck it and see...!
The Eagles (F1 ASY3) were on offer at Kwikfit (I've used their mobile service for years as avoids hanging about in their tyre places) and are also A for efficiency, B for wet grip and 69bd noise (defiintely much quieter). £348 all in for 4.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts