BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, Not sure if this has been posted before but here goes! Some of you will know these and others will learn a few things.

1) The name...
BMW stands for Bayerische Motoren Werke, or in English that would be Bavarian Motor Works.

2) The logo...
The Roundel logo stems from the days of its aircraft heritage, and symbolizes a spinning propeller. Not completely true though, A huge part of the logo are the blue and white fields, and those come off the Bavarian flag. (Bavaria is a state in Germany, where BMW comes from.)

3) The face...
The BMW 303 was a mid sized sedan/saloon produced by BMW in 1933 and 1934. It was the first BMW to use the 'kidney grille' which today is a hallmark of the company's models. This was also BMW's first 6 cylinder car.

4) The tag...
The first BMW 'series' was the 5-series. The first car with the 'series' tag was the E12. This was in 1972.

5) What does 'E' stand for in BMW model code?
BMW does not use automobile platforms like any other manufactures, instead, each generation has a development code (Entwicklungsnummeren)
E = Entwicklung = Development. So why did the switch to the F-code with the new 7 series? Did they run out of E numbers?

6) A BMW Volkswagen?
BMW 700 was a direct competitor to Volkswagen's Beetle. It had a rear mounted engine, rear wheel drive, air cooled engine, and a boxer engine.

7) Why didn't they make...
E39 M5 Touring, 850i Convertible, E34 M5 Convertible, E36 M3 Compact? Erm....they did! Bmw manufactured prototypes for the listed cars, but due to marketing strategy, they didn't send them to production.

8) Back to the start....
The 1st car made by BMW was........the BMW Dixi. BMW bought the Automobilwerk Eisenach in 1928 and with it, the rights to build the Dixi car. Soon after that, they dropped the Dixi name.

9) BMW celebrates April fools day!!
In the UK, BMW's marketing team publishes different adverts in the newspaper... Only on April fools day. The adverts are humorous, and quite intelligent. So, If you want to take a look at some of them, visit the next link: >> BMW Education: Company Facts<<

10) Bob Marley...
For a long time Bob drove a BMW which, as far as he was concerned, stood for Bob Marley and the Wailers. "I have a BMW. But only because BMW stands for Bob Marley and The Wailers, and not because I need an expensive car." - BOB MARLEY

Hope you enjoyed the read! :cool

·
Registered
602 Posts
nice!

that m5 convertible is amazing! damn why didn't they make that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that m5 convertible is amazing! damn why didn't they make that.
Yeah, that car is awfully sexy! With the roof down, it looks more expensive than the sedan/saloon version!
The 8 series convertible looks like a mixture between the Honda/Acura NSX and the Chev Corvette. Again, utterly beautiful!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is sexy from every angle! This has made me slightly upset that BMW did not produce the E34 M5 Convertible to the public. Such a good looking car!!

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
Don't like the M5 vert the proportions are all wrong but the 8 series vert, now that is a thing of beauty. I'm afraid I can't get exited over the M5 tourer as I don't like tourers dates back to a Renault 21 Estate (that's what they used to be called years ago) and it was such a dog, it put me off estates (tourers) for life. Silly I know as it was nothing to do with the body shape, just an awful car with a crap engine and horrendous electrics. It's like kids not eating anything green, because once they tasted a Brussels Sprout!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's all down to personal choice I guess! Some will love the M5 Vert and some won't. I can agree with you about tourings/estates/station-wagons. I'm not a major fan for them. It's the same story for hatchbacks that have a vertical back like a touring (e.g. Golfs, Old Focus, Clios, MINI etc). They look incomplete to me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts